Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling Shots On Swingers And Movers

ErikW

just shoot it when its static- the swingers.

for movers i never do lead since most are close. arount 15meters max. i use 180 heads so that i dont need to lead.

That woulndt work on the area 4 moving targets this year, i got my hits, but i was holding dead center on the no-shoot

the moving platerack was another story...i tried not to lead it, and shot the plate behind the one i was tracking.

ken hicks is working on a moving Texas Star...you had better bring the ammo to next years A4 match..

• 4 months later...

don't know where I heard this from, but I tried it once on a mover at a fair distance (I think 15-20y). I didn't notice it until I saw the video, but I basically locked up on sight, and my body moved on my upper hips, it seems to work, I shot at it 4 times and hit it with 2 A's, and I think 2 C's. It seems to work for me and instead of waiting for the popper to stop at the point it returns direction. I think I shot at it extra times because I am just used to doing that....because I missed to fast... 7 rd stage turned into a 9rd stage.

be kind, i am new, but here is the link;

http://www.cultofthep7.com/smf/hk/Mover.wmv

• 2 weeks later...

There is a definate relation to shooting static targets and the way we call the shots on them. But because there is more to see we have to pay more attention to the whole process of making the shot.

One of the big differences is that we cannot choose to make the shot at the exact time we want to. We have to make the shot within the limited time the target is visible. On a static target we may wait a tenth or even only a couple of hundreths of a second to create the situation where we know the shot will hit the target. When shooting swingers this may cause the target to be more difficult to shoot, or even invisible.

A side effect of this is that it is easy to become tense and rushed in order to make the shot at that “perfect time”.

Knowing the path of the swinger and the place in the backstop where you want to hit it helps me. I recall Angus Hobdell saying you shoot look for “furrow” in the backstop (the place where most bullets end up) and shoot the swinger there.

Another big difference is that we have to shoot at a moving target (duh…) making it harder to call the shot if you don’t know your lead. Knowing your lead is important. Especially for the shooters shooting slow bullets.

With this said, I still think the most imporant difference is feel. I can almost always feel instinctively if I hit a swinger, when I let all the visual input (lead, speed of the swinger, place of the sights at the moment the shot went off) just enter my mind and let my instict figure it all out without interference of conscious thought.

The times I miss are usually a result of “reasoning” I hit the target, because the sights were there and the target was there, but it didn’t “feel” right.

Edited by spook

I think we have to learn to read the swinger target challenge - speed, exposure time, how it comes up into your vision and then choose the appropriate focus type which will determine how you shoot it.. lead, track or static. e.g. if the target challenge requires a FS focus then static would be best, you are just going to confuse your vison (and your brain) if you do otherwise. really though the challenge is more mental than physical...