Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Combat Shotgun

3GunF1Guy

I see no reason why this can not be produced and sold for sporting purposes, other than the stupid destructive device rule on certain 12 guage shotguns which should be repealed. Let's write our congress!

It is another one of those, 'please protect me from myself' or a 'we feel it could scare someone to death by its mere appearance' laws.

Guy Hawkins

I believe the AA12 was specifically covered by the BATF "desctructive device" ruling. The current law allows shotguns with bores over .5" if they are "particularly suitable for sporting purposes" - a requirement used attach the Street Sweeper and AA12.

Some time ago, under the Clintonistas, the BATF rules that practical shooting is not a "sporting purpose", despite the fact that competitions are held. They stated that a competiton using military style firearms is not a sporting event, but rather a competition using military style firearms - and went on to say that accepting them as sporting firearms would interfere with the goal of banning them.

Too bad the BATF was not asked for this decision under the current administration - no telling how that would have gone though.