Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am not a lawyer, but the basics of the laws regarding transport of firearms in California is that the weapon and the ammunition must be stored in seperate, locked containers in different areas of the car. For example, if the gun was locked in the trunk, and the ammunition in a locked boxed in the passenger cabin, you would be OK.

Here is a link to the official guidelines for transporting firearms:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.htm

Load the clips at the range and there will be no chance of a disagreement about what constitutes a loaded magazine (which is not allowed even if it is separate). Trunk, or lock box is best if possible (prevents any inspection in the first place).

The chances of anything happening are slim to none, but life is a lottery ;-)

Quote: Separate parts of the vehicle.

So, how do owners with pickup trucks transport? <insert jab at politicians here> Prudence would dictate not loading beforehand, however moon clips can be persnikety, and wheelgunners like to fit-check loaded "moons" on the cylinder. Good luck doing that at a match during the shooters meeitng.

I have the pickup dilemma too. Simple metal toolbox with padlock on it and all ammo/loaded mags in it. Unloaded guns in bags/cases will then be fine even in the same compartment. The metal tool box constitutes separate storage area.. If the stuff is under lock and key, a search cannot legally be made into the box. In the event of an accident, a padlocked toolbox is also (probably) not going to spill it's contents on the road for all to see.

Before I had a toolbox installed on the bed of my truck I would lock the ammo in a hand toolbox with a padlock and the guns went into the safe I installed behind the seat.

Now I usually lock ammo in the toolbox on the passenger side of the truck and gun in the driver side box.

FWIW, I know you are driving, but TSA won't let you fly with loaded moonclips. They confiscated a friend's ammo & moonclips while he was flying to the IDPA nats oneyear and he had to scramble for ammo and moonclips in order to compete.

Ted