Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uncle Mike's 1911 Kydex Gear

I need "something" to hold my 1911, and have heard the UM Kydex mentioned for $20. The 1911 dual mag pouch is also around $20 normally. As I've rarely used any kind of holster in the past, I wanted something inexpensive to get reaquainted with my 1911 and hopefully not be too embarrased about shooting action pistol for the first time(soon).

Botach has them on special for $4.95 for the holster, and $8.95 for the mag pouch! Yes, I know their "rep", and have had good luck with all my previous orders.

Sounds like too little money, there must be a catch somewhere, but for a beginner would these items be OK? Is a pair of mag pouches (4 reloads) enough for most stages? In whatever class a box stock 45 belongs...

Paladin

I need "something" to hold my 1911, and have heard the UM Kydex mentioned for $20.  The 1911 dual mag pouch is also around $20 normally.  As I've rarely used any kind of holster in the past, I wanted something inexpensive to get reaquainted with my 1911 and hopefully not be too embarrased about shooting action pistol for the first time(soon).

Botach has them on special for $4.95 for the holster, and $8.95 for the mag pouch!  Yes, I know their "rep", and have had good luck with all my previous orders.

Sounds like too little money, there must be a catch somewhere, but for a beginner would these items be OK?  Is a pair of mag pouches (4 reloads) enough for most stages?  In whatever class a box stock 45 belongs...

Paladin

I really like my Uncle Mikes holster and mag holders. They are not quite as fast as some of the other rigs but the differences are very minor. If you are looking for the very best and fastest - NOT... But they will serve very well and again - the differences are minor in how fast you can draw and grab the mags.

I think they are a very good bang for the buck.

I have both. They were the first and only gear that I owned besides leather. They draw fast and work great. IDPA won't let me use mine legally anymore, so I have to find a new holster. If you want them for fun or USPSA they are a real bargain.

I have a buddy who has both. The holster seems pretty nice - definitely serviceable, and seems to be fairly smooth to draw from. If it's for competition only, you can make it a little faster with some careful trimming, it would appear.

I'm not as impressed w/ the mag pouches - they seem a little bit clunky. However, for $20 each, you're going to have trouble beating them, I think. They definitely work, and you're not out much if you decide to upgrade in the future....

I have the double magazine carrier. It's pretty cheap -- the bottom screw fell out and was lost the first time I used it. Still it works ok, and is a lot more comfortable than the other Kydex carrier I have -- a Fobus -- which, if I'm not careful positioning the paddle, bites like a SOB, over a day of picking up brass, etc.

Also have a Fobus Kydex holster, two, really, for my G34 and 1911, and I like it well enough, though again the paddle is uncomfortable.

I need to spend some real money on this gear at some point, however -- I have a grand total of about $76 wrapped up in the two holsters and carriers, and another $12 for the stiffest leather belt WalMart sold. It's not that I'm cheap -- it's just that at my level, this stuff, though uncomfortable, *just* works well enough....

I have used the mag pouches for IPSC, I usually wear 2. They are ok, but if you loosen the screws too much they will work themselves loose.

I had one of the holsters, but prefer the Blade Tech.

I had two Blade Techs (the injected molded $25 ones) and took the spacers (black rings) and added them to one of the holsters to get it to stick out further from y waiste. Makes for a real nice draw

http://www.blade-tech.com/frontend?command...ProductId=53865

Blade-Tech has an awesome little deal going for $39

Injection molded holster (RH only) and mag pouch both of which have Tek-Lok attachments. An optional paddle is included for the holster.

You cannot beat the Blade-Tech injection molded mag pouches for the money. Unlike the Uncle Mike's or Fobus ones I've used, these will retain the mags while being held upside down, yet you are still able to take the mags out with little-to-no effort at all.

• 3 weeks later...
I need "something" to hold my 1911, and have heard the UM Kydex mentioned for $20. 

FWIW, I've been shooting with that holster for about a year now, and I bought it from Botach. I'm sure there are much better holsters to be had, but I don't think it's slowing me down yet. Thanks for the heads-up about the sale price; I needed a holster for my Glock as well as another for the 1911 and a few mag pouches.

I finally got the UM holster yesterday. The mag pouches from botach were out of stock, and they left me hanging until I called last Friday. They promptly shipped what they had on hand. So I can go for the Blade Tech pouches still. The Blade tech stuff on their site looks great, probably a step up from UM.

I was so excited to get the holster, I did a smart thing, followed by a "learning experience" which was rather humbling. I tried out the holster with a Safariland leather belt, and used a full size 1911 "counterfeit" gun to see how drawing the pistol would be. It fit snugly, and withdrew faster than I expected, which was cool. And yes, I held it upside down over a couch cushion, and it did NOT fall out!

So later, I was showing the wife my new "fathersday" toy, and commented to her how well it held the "piece" while shook upside down. BAM! :o How could a gun fall 4 feet so fast? I was really, REALLY happy my Colt had not crashed to the floor like that.

I promise to NEVER do that again, even with a toy gun. And yes, I WILL continue using the fake 1911 for any handling drills for a while. I felt so much like Barney Fife, I did not even take the real 1911's out to the range with me this morning...

Paladin

Another good test for a new holster.

Take your UNLOADED gun. cock the hammer back, disengage the slide safety and grip the gun firmly to activate the grip safety and insert into the holster, jiggle it around a bit and pull it back out.

While doing this the hammer should NOT fall.

There may be an occasion where you forget to engage the safety while holstering and this test will let you know if the hammer will fall in that situation.

I do this test everytime I change the trigger insert in my gun or try a different holster.

Better to be safe than sorry...