Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Drops More Powder with Failsafe Rod?

Loaded on a 550b for 2 years, just recently got a 650. When checking powder charges on my 550, I would remove the failsafe rod, and manually drop 10 charges by working the Slotted Bellcrank by hand and weighing them. This always dropped the same amount of powder as weighing 10 individual drops with the failsafe rod attached.

On my 650, I will weigh 10 drops without the failsafe rod, and will get a total measurement of 36.3 grains consistently. When I weigh 10 individual drops with the failsafe rod attached, I get around a .25 grain per drop higher measurement consistently (38.7).

Any ideas why drops with the failsafe rod are throwing more powder?

Edited by ES13Raven

11 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Isn't it a 2.4 grain total, divided by 10 would be 0.24 grain per drop ???

Sorry, I meant .25 grains.  I'm trying for 3.6 grain drops, and I'm getting 3.8 to 3.9 with the failsafe rod.

Edited by ES13Raven

Oh, I was just going by your totals of 36.3 grains without failsafe rod and 38.7 with failsafe rod. If those aren't totals but individual drops then I misread your post.  I assumed 3.63 and 3.87 per individual drop which seemed reasonable with various pistol loads.

Sorry.

Not sure why the drops would vary but could be different vibrations between hand actuating the slide and the machine doing it.

5 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I found this out myself a while back when using this method. I don't know why either but now I just drop 10-20 drops with the rod attached. Problem solved. 

Yep. I drop them as if I were actually loading ammo. Seems the best way to tell what's dropping under normal use

On 3/4/2017 at 1:45 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

I found this out myself a while back when using this method. I don't know why either but now I just drop 10-20 drops with the rod attached. Problem solved. 

Yeah, its quicker and easier the other way though. I will probably ballpark it that way, then fine tune with using the rod.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:23 PM, Sarge said:

Yep. I drop them as if I were actually loading ammo. Seems the best way to tell what's dropping under normal use

This is true.  My theory is that activating the powder measure by hand is typically a little more gentle compared to operating while running (which I find is faster and the action/vibration while loading may allow a little more powder to settle into the bar).  Also, when activating by hand, you really need to set aside (recycle) the first few throws as they tend to be a little bit heavier in my experience (if powder has had time to settle more).

On 3/5/2017 at 6:05 PM, ES13Raven said:

Yeah, its quicker and easier the other way though. I will probably ballpark it that way, then fine tune with using the rod.

I have done that for the same reason, it is easier/faster.  But, see my comments above.