Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Those of you using or have used Clay Dot

jakeb

Hey All,

As the Title reads I find myself with quite a bit of Clay Dot from shotgun shooting having most recently moved to e3 for the shotgun sports.

When you are coming up with loads for 9mm or 38 Special where are you getting your starting points for loads? I've seen and heard 'It's just the same as Clays' also direct from Alliant ' They are two totally different powders and don't use Clays data'.

I do own QuickLoad and have wondered how you all are getting your starting loads for any cartridges where there might now be published or readily available data for Clay Dot with certain bullets.

Thanks for any insight...I would hope to burn through this bit of a supply of Clay Dot in hopes of getting to another powder that is more widely recognized with published load data.

Thanks!

- Jake

I use Clay Dot for 38 short colt revolver, .45acp in 1911s, and some in 9mm pistol loads.  All of my loads were developed in my guns with a chrono.  the only info I've found on Clay Dot loads is on these forums, never saw any published data from the mfg.

If you don't have a chrono I'd recommend getting one and using that to work up your loads.  

Overall I've found Clay Dot to be  slightly more forgiving than  Clays when it comes to being spikey.   

Clay Dot uses Clays reloading data.  Even Hodgdon confirms it is nearly identical.  The only difference I have found it charge weight.  Sometimes it's identical, and sometimes it may vary either way by 0.1gr, depending on the powder lots.  Use Clays loading data with confidence.

I will suggest you use your e3 if you want to approach maximum loads in 9mm.  Both Clays and Clay Dot get spikey fast near the pressure limit, otherwise they are fine.  e3 exhibits not of that spikeyness.  Use Clays data for e3 as well.