Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2s rumored to be arriving?

SlvrDragon50

17 minutes ago, adamge said:

If it's any consolation, my brand new urban grey Shadow 2 got whooped by a 5 year old Shadow 1 with probably 50k rounds through it.

I'm going to chalk it up to you learning a new gun :D

I honestly still can't decide between Urban Grey and Black Nitride so more time is good.

I maintain my thought that a true nitride frame Shadow 2 does not exist, and that all the black ones are polycoat black frames.  Until I see a photo with both side by side that clearly shows the nitride as being visibly different from the polycoat, that is.

1 hour ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

The part number is supposedly the one for black nitride tho.

1 minute ago, adamge said:

I maintain my thought that a true nitride frame Shadow 2 does not exist, and that all the black ones are polycoat black frames.  Until I see a photo with both side by side that clearly shows the nitride as being visibly different from the polycoat, that is.

Hmmm, total confusion and a conspiracy theory.

I was worried that we might be seeing a change in the status quo. 

:) 

7 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

That would be pretty weird to pay $100 for only a black nitride'd slide. TBH, the more I think about it, the Urban Grey looks pretty sexy, and I can put that $100 towards some upgrades :D

If you really want to be confused read page 22 in the 2017 product catalog. 

1 minute ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If you really want to be confused read page 22 in the 2017 product catalog. 

That was released before the guns were actually being made right? Because the initial rumors were that they were all black nitride. Not that I really care since the poly is pretty durable anyways, but I feel like saying it's nitrided when it's not would leave room for a false advertisement lawsuit? Or is polycoat over nitride the standard treatment?

1 minute ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

That was released before the guns were actually being made right? Because the initial rumors were that they were all black nitride. Not that I really care since the poly is pretty durable anyways, but I feel like saying it's nitrided when it's not would leave room for a false advertisement lawsuit? Or is polycoat over nitride the standard treatment?

Good questions all. 

next class I'll pics of my Arcore ones beside the Polycoat ones my students have. There is a difference. you can feel it more than you can see it though.

The Poly is over the Arcore treatment. So yes, they are all nitrided/arcore. 

6 hours ago, slavex said:

next class I'll pics of my Arcore ones beside the Polycoat ones my students have. There is a difference. you can feel it more than you can see it though.

The Poly is over the Arcore treatment. So yes, they are all nitrided/arcore. 

Oh, if there's all nitrided then why would the polycoat cost less? Or is the arcore just a thicker layer on the "nitride" version? Is the Arcore more glossy in terms of feel?

So I think I have a theory on why Poly overtop of Nitride. A friend's company is doing their actions with Nitride and are having a ton of problems with it. Until their latest batch from the new machine shop, the Nitriding was showing up like polka dots on the actions. Any minute change in surface composition changes color slightly differently during nitriding. So, according to the finisher, if the feed rate caused a spot to heat differently enough during machine (bad tools, sudden loss of coolant etc) it would be obvious once N was applied. Same probably could happen with the frames on the 2s. Especially given they are cast first then machined, if there are any minor little impurities, that normally wouldn't be visible to the naked eye, they will show up in the Nitriding. Nothing mechanically wrong, pass all QC, but cosmetically not so great. But someone has to go through and sort that. For my buddies company, any actions that made it through cost $100 more than the ones they culled out and Cerakoated as they know their actions are preferred in pure Nitride coating. 

I'd assume the same applies with the CZ frames, but could be speaking from my ass on it. I have personally witnessed it with my friends rifles though.

Down below are my two Shadow 2s on either side of my buddies Shadow 2. Mine are both pure Arcore (Nitride) and his is poly. We wiped all three down with a couple cloths. Now the flash made the one on the right shiny looking, they aren't . Mine has a much smoother feeling to it than the gun in the center, it feels like any other Shadow frame. Mine are just smooth metal that is nice and black. 

Shadow 2s.jpg

I'm with Mike. But the explanation makes a lot of sense slavex, a lot like binning for computer graphics cards, you're paying more for the ones that make it through more stringent testing.

So you say yours feels like any other Shadow frame though... did the polycoat change or something? I wonder why the nitride feels more like the older shadow frames.

I am having a hard time buying the whole "nitride is hard to get right" story, since you can send any gun you want off to get nitrided and it comes back all consistent and black. Tons of people get nitride/tenifer/ferritic nitrocarburizing coatings on their guns and they are plenty consistent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Gooldylocks said:

I am having a hard time buying the whole "nitride is hard to get right" story, since you can send any gun you want off to get nitrided and it comes back all consistent and black. Tons of people get nitride/tenifer/ferritic nitrocarburizing coatings on their guns and they are plenty consistent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How much do they pay?

The frames are all nitrided, at least as of my last talk with the factory, then poly over top. 

I agree tons of people send out guns to get nitrided and get them back looking good. But having seen my buddies rifle actions and talked to the owner of the company doing the nitriding, I'm going to assume he knows what he's talking about.