Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Killing These Nasty #$@*&

texasag93

Man, I plugged a lot of carp with a bow when I was a kid in Ohio. Bullfrogs too. And I even fly-fished for carp, with a hatchet. :o But I didn't tie a hatchet to a fly rod. When the carp would run upstream for soft-craws, I'd get a running start and go flying off the bank with a hatchet in each hand. I was a bit wacky when I was a kid. That's a good visual though.

But my best carp wrestling story - I was wading in the muck at the local lake, and shot a carp with my bow. The crazy carp came swimming right for me. Now I'm standing in about 1 foot of water and about 2 feet of muck, and I'm thinking, this carp ain't getting by me... so I dive on him as he goes by. I'm flopping around with him for a couple minutes, when I finally come up with him pinned in my arms. The guys on the bank fishing went nuts with applause... I had muck and algae hanging all over me. Then I realized that he didn't have an arrow in him. :wacko: The carp I shot was still right where I shot him.

;)

Carp with Mustard Sauce (yummy!)

Slice cleaned carp into 1-1/2" steaks

Rub steaks with extra-virgin olive oil.

Season with garlic, cayenne pepper and a little Worchestershire sauce.

Seal in plastic bag and let marinade for 1-2 hours in refrigerator.

Mustard sauce:

6 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1 teaspoon Tobasco sauce

Mix well.

On a wide, shallow, foil-lined pan, arrange a layer of thin Redwood shingles (available at building supply center).

Place a carp steak on each shingle.

Coat each steak with Mustard sauce.

Place a thin slice of onion on each steak.

Drizzle with small amount of lemon jiuce.

Broil for 6 minutes.

Discard the carp and eat the shingle.

Carp fishing is not for the faint of heart. Knee deep in muck, algae and everything else thats floating in the back waters. I think the worst feeling is when you sneaking along and all of a sudden you scared a BIG carp but didnt' even know you did until it slams straight into your leg at 20 mph. Takes awhile to get used to something large and slimy bumping into you underwater.

I would love to go to Texas and take some shots at those 300lb gar they have down there. I can't even imagine the fight. I think some guys just shoot the gar with a arrow with the line attached to large saltwater rod and reel. Then they just fight them with the rod.

Texas,

How do you like that bowfishing reel?? My rig is just the bowfishing rod with a zebco 888 attached. Good out to 20 yards. Hitting a 20lb carp is good in Ohio. Nothing very large here. I been thinking about getting one of those reels. No tangle, gotta love that.

Benos I didn't realize you once lived in Ohio.

Flyin40

Never bowfished for them but I did try an alligator gar with a spear when I was growing up. I was out gigging softshell crabs in the delta one night and came across one about four feet long, maybe a hundred pounds or so, with his back sticking up out of the water. Fish 1 - John 0.

Try fishing for them while in an innertube !!!!! :blink:

A 20 pounder will take you where ever it wants to go !!!!!!! <_<

Oh yeah, a support innertube with ICE CHEST full of Brewskies doesn't hurt either !! :D

Hopalong

The reel is great. I don't like the fishing reels. Forget to push the button and you lost an arrow. There is also the chance of line getting tangled in the reel. Either way you will loose more arrows with the fishing reel. I hopefully will be on the Brazos or Trinity River soon looking for 200 lb + Alligator gar. The gar in the pic are Needle Nose gar taken at Twin Buttes Lake in San Angelo Tx. Largest jsut missed the lake record. :( We shoot a few carp but the majority of fish shot are gar. Carp are to skiddish, gar will give you multiple shots if needed. Largest one in the pic took one shot. Brained him, dead on impact. Love bowfishing, almost as much as shooting. <_< TXAG

Wow, like the other post, that brings back some memories. Here in Ohio the main bowfishing speices is Carp.

UHH Flyin 40 here in southern Ohio we refer to that particular game fish as bugle mouth bass.

Wow, like the other post, that brings back some memories. Here in Ohio the main bowfishing speices is Carp.

UHH Flyin 40 here in southern Ohio we refer to that particular game fish as bugle mouth bass.

Or should I say bugle mouth bass "you all"

I found some bowfishing pics I'll post up. No gar, just some dem der Bugle mouth bass.... :lol:

Or should I say bugle mouth bass "you all"

You all is better than "Younze" Ever heard that one?? I grew up around Cambridge and everyone use it. Funny stuff :lol::lol::lol:

Flyin40

Man, I plugged a lot of carp with a bow when I was a kid in Ohio. Bullfrogs too. And I even fly-fished for carp, with a hatchet.  :o  But I didn't tie a hatchet to a fly rod. When the carp would run upstream for soft-craws, I'd get a running start and go flying off the bank with a hatchet in each hand. I was a bit wacky when I was a kid. That's a good visual though.

But my best carp wrestling story - I was wading in the muck at the local lake, and shot a carp with my bow. The crazy carp came swimming right for me. Now I'm standing in about 1 foot of water and about 2 feet of muck, and I'm thinking, this carp ain't getting by me... so I dive on him as he goes by. I'm flopping around with him for a couple minutes, when I finally come up with him pinned in my arms. The guys on the bank fishing went nuts with applause... I had muck and algae hanging all over me. Then I realized that he didn't have an arrow in him.  :wacko: The carp I shot was still right where I shot him.

;)

You are funny!!! This is a story of, hmm, what was that American saying? Two fish with one arrow? :P

I am glad I am not the only one who blew up frogs with firecrackers. Or made flying flowers with dragonflies (back then we had dragonflies like locust ) Of course it was not my original idea thoguh

• 2 weeks later...