Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Consistent Grip

Tangram

Some suggestions appreciated.

I am using an IDPA legal holster-Safari Land 560. I am working on getting a consistent grip at the holster. Besides the practice word do you have any tips? Somtimes I am amazed where my sights end up as I drive the pistol out. It seems to me that much of my problem is my starting grip.

Rick

Go in reverse...

- Grip the gun as if you were just ready to pull it out of the holster.

- Open your fingers, but don't yet move your hand.

- move your hand laterally...straight to the side, not up or down...about an inch or two.

- Now, move (hand, arm, elbow, shoulder...) just enough to get into the start position.

Do all this in super-slow motion. Do it backwards a number of times...then, do it forwards. Pay attention to what your body is doing. Let your body figure out how to grip the gun on its own. (What I posted above might not be right...let yourself figure it out.)

Try to eliminate any extra movement. Let us know what you experience.

Flex has pretty much nailed it as far as useless motion goes. Do it in front of full length mirror and just watch, the mirror never lies ;-).

I think of the draw as two rapid motions, one get's the hand on the gun and compresses the web of my hand as I grip it, two is snatching the gun clear and everything on out to the shot. With practice I see it as a "Hollywood Stop" where I barely apply the brakes as I hit the gun until I have the grip right and then blow the intersection on full gas after that.

But be warned, get it smooth before you get it fast, smooth is fast.

BTW, decelerating to a smooth stop as you finish aligning the sights and break the shot is a must. Once again, smooth is fast.

--

Regards

Edited by George

In addition to drawing practice, practice just picking up the pistol and extending it out into position, then check sight alignment. After 25 years of practicing and competing... every time I go to Robbies house - he's picking up a pistol (that's just laying around) and dry firing it. Usually there's two or three pistols laying around that he's always playing around with like that.

There's a good lesson there for those who "don't like to dry fire."

be

Definitely what Flex said...work backwards to minimize the motion....

I usually do a about 5-10 minutes of dryfire from the holster every other night..( about what my kids will let me get away with)

also work on your draws when you are in motion..the holster/gun is not in the same place as when you do a standing draw..

I also usually have a gun on the desk when I am working at the computer..for a break, I will do draws from the table and then work on transitions, reloads, etc..whatever my kids will let me get away with..

Quick Update: Working in slow and slower motion in reverse has helped give me the sense of the amount flair my hand needs to establish a full grip in the holster. And demonstrates the path it needs to travel, in last few inches, before establishing my grip. I also am breaking the draw down into parts and working on driving the pistol from low ready while switching focus from target to sights.

I've seen a couple tenths come off my draw with acceptable accuracy. I feel pleased at this progress.