Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

decapping die alighnment 550

Decapping 45acp cases,  using Dillion die. The case does not want to line up with the die hole. The  case hits the inside edge of the decap/sizing die. The shell plate can be nudged just a touch and the case will enter the die. Looking at the case as extracted from the die, it looks slightly angled. I have decapped a case, with the die loosened and the case in the die and retightened. I have cleaned, lubed, adjusted, replaced the spring and ball and cannot get the shell plate to align properly. No problems on any other stations. Probably 3000 rounds loaded (of 45). Press is about 6 or 7 months old. 

Just some thoughts you can try if you already haven't. I have a similar issue with my S1050 where the swage backer rod hits the case mouth on my rifle cases, ever so slightly, and maybe 10% of the time, it dents the case mouth. Dillon suggested that I, and maybe you should too:

1) push down on the shell plate opposite the problem die. If it's springy, tighten the shell plate.

2) if you are using the aftermarket bearing, remove it, reassemble and try again.

3) remove the shell plate, set it on a flat surface, as it would be on the press, and see if it rocks at all. Not likely, but you could have a bent shell plate.

That's all I have. Best of luck!

I know. The crazy thing is, today I tried all 3 things Dillon recommended. Removing the bearing fixed my issue. It's a S1050, not a 550 though. It didn't make sense to me either, but my issue is gone. The bearing does not negatively affect me loading 9mm.

Making sure its the correct shellplate...? Loosening and retightening the die with a case in it?

Adjusting tension on the shellplate?

Adjusting the little finger that holds the case in the shellplate?

Take note that when you insert the case into station 1 it doesnt move the shellplate back at all?

On the RL550, there is an adjustable spring at station 1. It resembles a bent paperclip. The end of this spring should not quite touch the rim of the case. To adjust it, first loosen the small retaining bolt. Slide a fired case into the shellplate. Push the spring in until it contacts the rim of the case, them back it away .002-.004". Snug the small retaining bolt.

Next, push down on the edge of the shellplate between stations 2 and 3 . If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be tighter.

Finally, be sure the identifying number/letter for the shellplate is visible on the top of the shellplate. An upside-down shellplate can cause this.

I have gone through all of the above suggestions. None solved the problem. I have adjusted the clip on station one. Tightened the shell plate, backed it off to the point it turned without binding. Placed a case in station one, raised the ram pushing the case into the die, after I aligned it, loosened the die, relighted the die, no solution. With brass in the shell plate, the shell plate can be turned  just maybe a 32 of an inch, maybe less, the brass will freely load into the die. The movement is free, no resistance, feels like movement on the ball bearing. I have replaced the bearing and the spring with new pieces. No improvement. The plate is flat with no warp. The shell plate is number 1. Switched to 9mm setup, no problems. I'm at a loss. Maybe a Lee sizer/decapper. Any ideas,

Dillion, any further suggestions? Thanks