Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Type Of Stages?

f250sd

What type of IDPA stages do you guys like best. exp: fast ones, a lot of tuff shots, lot of/little/no movement, lot of props, high/low round count, a lot/no steel, movers/drop/swingers, CoF's with only one way to shoot it, or with some options in it. forward/rearward/side-to-side movement while shooting. lot of hardcover on targets/no or little hardcover on targets, etc. ???

In other words, what makes you enjoy a stage more than another one.

Thanks.

I like stages that flow well and don't have issues with claptraps that don't work or props that fail.

I enjoy long stages and quick ones and ones in between. I enjoy them more when there is some of everything in a match. A turn and burn six round stage may lower the overall round count but they can be fun- especially on ones with a high disaster factor. All 6 round stages can be dull, and all 18 round stages can be as well. A mix is nice.

I don't like stages that have you start inside a car because they slow the match down most the time. They are "real world" and cool to shoot, but unless the match is well balanced, can become a bottleneck.

I especially hate stages that have you get out of a car on the clock- unless it's a SUV, pickup truck or Crown Vic. Expecting shooters to dash out of a subcompact is mean.

I LOVE stages where you get to shoot targets inside a car. Lots of fun though I lose time because invariably I see what I can shoot through with my ammo. :) :)

I hate stages that make you shoot while holding a briefcase or other prop that IRL you would throw at your attacker instead of holding on to. I cannot think of a darn thing that you could put in a briefcase that would convince me to hold while in a shoot out.

I like to shoot standards now and then. I think they have their place and for whatever reason I think they are fun.

Quality moving targets are cool. They have to activate solidly and perform consistently though.

In the case of hardcover, I prefer it when it really is "hard" and not something that is painted black.

I like steel. I still like it when there is some on a stage.

I really hate fully scripted stages. IDPA's rules on engagement pretty much makes for only a few (if not just only one) ways to shoot a stage. I don't need to have to read about every step I have to take.

I hate silly COF requirments. Heard about one stage that was suggested for a match but not used where the shooter would have been required to sit down a hand of cards all face down and in order before shooting targets. WTF?

My second biggest pet peeve is the "imaginary" stage. That's one full of targets you can see from one position but cannot shoot until you get to another position. If you want a target shot from a particular place, place a WALL in the way or let them shoot em as they see them.

And my biggest pet peeve is when you are faced with stages that violate the rules.

Ted

From a gamers point of view I like the 15 to 18 round count stages. The 6 round stages are fun and can be challenging but just about everybody shoots those stages within a couple of seconds of each other. I like the longer stages because you can make up or gain time on other competitors there. As far as how the stages are laid out I agree with how Ted Murphy summed it up.

Stages with the targets at the greatest legal distance(which isn't far), and maybe some short sprints between cover.

The stages that I don't like are the ones that require you to shoot while moving. Also, the 18rd. weak/strong hand combos at 7-10yds.. We have bunches of those locally. But the absolute worst are the ones where you shoot and then walk backwards over 15 feet to engage other targets.

I see where Mr. Murphy mentioned a deck of cards. I've shot so many stages that would have been a beautiful hose-fest if it just didn't include that stupid deck of cards. We have some where you flip a card, see red and you save the red target for last, or vice-versa. I don't know about y'all, but reading cards and shooting is never fun for me.

I see where Mr. Murphy mentioned a deck of cards. I've shot so many stages that would have been a beautiful hose-fest if it just didn't include that stupid deck of cards. We have some where you flip a card, see red and you save the red target for last, or vice-versa. I don't know about y'all, but reading cards and shooting is never fun for me.

This month I set up a house clearing type stage with 2 sets of different colored targets. String 1 was the first color, string 2 was the second. If they accidentally shot the string 2 color in string 1 we taped the hits and did not score them as a non threat (as they must have hands anyway) Upped the round count and simplified the set up between strings. This was for an indoor range with limited movement so i thought it was a fun way to essentially let people run the same stage twice in seperate strings without having to score it limited vickers or have to tape between strings.

Ted

JD45 you must shoot in Spartanburg...lol

I don't like card stages either. Especially mixing in tactical sequence in with it. It's always shoot the card/target you turn over first or last or that suit is a non threat. The big reason I don't like it is because it's not the same for everybody. One person gets to hose 3 targets in order while another person has to skip a target.

Personally enjoy closer hose 'em stages but wouldn't want the whole match like that. I enjoy balance that tests various skills. If a match has one good hoser stage, one long range stage, a max round count stage and an intermediate range life is good. Variety is a match is the key.

What type of IDPA stages do you guys like best. exp: fast ones, a lot of tuff shots, lot of/little/no movement, lot of props, high/low round count, a lot/no steel, movers/drop/swingers, CoF's with only one way to shoot it, or with some options in it. forward/rearward/side-to-side movement while shooting. lot of hardcover on targets/no or little hardcover on targets, etc. ???

Yes. :D

I hate stages that make you shoot while holding a briefcase or other prop that IRL you would throw at your attacker instead of holding on to. I cannot think of a darn thing that you could put in a briefcase that would convince me to hold while in a shoot out.

Truer words were never spoken. Now, stages that require you to start with something in your master hand, and get rid of it before you draw, I think are definitely useful.

I like to shoot standards now and then. I think they have their place and for whatever reason I think they are fun.

Another total agreement here. Besides, standards exercises tend to separate the better from the weaker shooters - with a crowbar.

Now, stages that require you to start with something in your master hand, and get rid of it before you draw, I think are definitely useful.

Except for scenarios that have you seeing the targets ahead of time and you are still in Condition White.

Jerry

For IDPA, I like stages that are interesting and fun to shoot. Nothing too corny or contrived. Like it says in the rules: make the problem a shooting problem. That keeps me happy. As long as I'll do well if I'm shooting well I'm all for it. Not that all the stages I've designed are completely shooting problems...but I'm trying.

But if I had to pick, shorter speed shoots are my favorites...although I'm trying to become more well-rounded. As in shooting rounded, not shape rounded...

- Gabe

Since I started the thread, here it goes,

I like 15+ round stages, that have a little bit of every thing in it: near fast targets, a long shot, a steel or two, a swinger, mover or dropper, slicing the pie, shooting on the move, and maybe some strong/weak hand on the final target(s). Thats my idea of a great stage. Although I know not all stages in a match can not and should not be like it. But its great when there is at least one. I also love a match that has almost every type of shooting style in it. I think that way everyone finds out what their strong and weak spots are.

:D