Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Won't P&S...

IGOTGLOCKED

I couldn't find the posting regarding coloring a round doing a p&s and see where it is touching to determine the solution so I started this post to hopefully find a solution.The scrape is about 1/4" up from the base of the case going towards the mouth. I tried to attach a picture however it said it could only be 1.95 mb and I didn't have time to figure out how to reset my phone camera to achieve less than that... Does this give anyone enough info to guess what the solution is?

I will try to reset my camera settings after work and take another pic to enable all to see what I am trying to describe.

Thx!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

It's a case bulge and sizing issue. I had this happen with brass that was fired in gun A, and when sized with a Dillon die it would not fit in gun B that had a tighter chamber. My Dillon die did not do a very good job of sizing at that location.

My solution (which is admittedly odd) was to first run the fired case through a Lee FCD, which happens to size the case better at that position, then run it through the Dillon size die. That fixed the problem. 

2 hours ago, superdude said:

It's a case bulge and sizing issue. I had this happen with brass that was fired in gun A, and when sized with a Dillon die it would not fit in gun B that had a tighter chamber. My Dillon die did not do a very good job of sizing at that location.

My solution (which is admittedly odd) was to first run the fired case through a Lee FCD, which happens to size the case better at that position, then run it through the Dillon size die. That fixed the problem. 

Would a Udie solve this issue? Here is the problem child!

9 scrape.jpg

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED
Missing a question.

Lee carbide sizing die.  I reload 9mm major and never have a problem.  The Udie would certainly work as well, but I do not have personal experience with it.  Also, I think I read somewhere that people who have used both have determined the Udie for 9mm is not necessary.

Is it all the same head-stamp? Is this brass that was fired from your gun?  Lee dies seem to size tighter than Dillon. A u-die also will size tighter but may make it tougher to stroke unless you use lube. A lot of loaders here recommend lubing no matter which die you use.

8 minutes ago, Youngeyes said:

Is it all the same head-stamp? Is this brass that was fired from your gun?  Lee dies seem to size tighter than Dillon. A u-die also will size tighter but may make it tougher to stroke unless you use lube. A lot of loaders here recommend lubing no matter which die you use.

Not all the same head stamp (yet), that is my next project and not all fired from my gun. I use lube now and have since I began reloading as Dillon recommends. Some have said with a U die I'd need to use a lanolin based lube - I use One Shot now.

Buy the set of Lee carbide insert dies.  Never look back, and never have problems again.  Buy the full set with the FCD.  Run the resize die all the way down to the shell plate and you'll never have to do any extra debulging process.

10 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

The mark at the case mouth is likely not the problem (9mm headspaces on the case mouth) but the mark lower down is an issue. A lee sizer or u-die will likely solve this. 

11 hours ago, sitw said:

Lee carbide sizing die.  I reload 9mm major and never have a problem.  The Udie would certainly work as well, but I do not have personal experience with it.  Also, I think I read somewhere that people who have used both have determined the Udie for 9mm is not necessary.

Lee has been mentioned a few times now, will take a look - thx!

10 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

The mark at the case mouth is likely not the problem (9mm headspaces on the case mouth) but the mark lower down is an issue. A lee sizer or u-die will likely solve this. 

Yup, need to do something. Doesn't happen often but is a pain...

10 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Buy the set of Lee carbide insert dies.  Never look back, and never have problems again.  Buy the full set with the FCD.  Run the resize die all the way down to the shell plate and you'll never have to do any extra debulging process.

Lee again, much appreciated!