Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long slide springs are NOT interchangeable with regular

johnbu

Ok, I was tuning my S2 - 40 recoil springs for major pf and swapped out a recoil spring and put in a long slide a pound heavier.

Bang! Fail to feed. Clear, rack, bang, Fail to feed.

Hmmm, lock it back...huh? LOCK it back.... huh. Won't lock back! Go inside and spent a hour chasing my tail on the guide rod, barrel, frame, etc. Swapped the light spring in and it would lock. Eventually... the quarter dropped. Coil stack bind. Pulled a "regular" spring and...woah... way shorter.

Turns out I had a long slide spring in there that the wire was small enough it didn't coil stack and bind.  the heavier spring however, went to coil stack and stopped the slide from reaching full stroke.   So, the "wolff LS springs are just 2# heavier" is not true with heavier springs. The one binding was long slide 11#.   Just thought I'd share

6# only comes in LS version. So, if your 8# is the same length...it appears to also be a LS.

Fresh out of the package LS 8 and regular 8 are different length by about 1/2".

Of course, who knows about how accurately they "pick" from the spring bins...

3 hours ago, taxil343 said:

I've got a 6lb long slide that I was going to try after I get some rounds through the gun. The length of this spring is almost identical to the 8lb standard I have in the gun now. Does this sound correct?

1 minute ago, johnbu said:

6# only comes in LS version. So, if your 8# is the same length...it appears to also be a LS.

Fresh out of the package LS 8 and regular 8 are different length by about 1/2".

Of course, who knows about how accurately they "pick" from the spring bins...

The 8lb and 9lb that I ordered both say standard on the card inside the bag and are almost the same length as the factory spring. When I get home I will measure the 6lb "long slide" and see how much longer it is. I picked it up with my most recent patriot defense order as I have read numerous posts about guys trimming these to standard length and using them with 147s. I load 147s and generally prefer a lighter than normal spring so I thought it would be good to try. I'm assuming from your post that you typically cut about 1/2" off of yours?

I'm always interested when I hear that guys are running a 6lb spring with 147s. Even at my preferred 133-135pf, my 147gr load wouldn't run on an 8 pound spring. I need a 10 for my gun to cycle consistently, even with aggressive polishing of the frame rails & grooves and the gun choked in a death grip.

I'm hoping the slide to frame fit loosens up after a few thousand rounds, and I can run a lighter spring.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I have to wonder if they didn't just send you the wrong spring... In my experience the long slide = short slide + 2 lbs has seemed true. Especially since you are having the issue with an 11 lb spring which is not that strong. Remember they make these guns in 10mm with what... 24 lb springs? Are you certain there isn't something going on with your reverse plug or something?

Also, just a general note to all, free length is not everything when it comes to springs, wire diameter, and number of coils also effects spring weight which if I recall is supposed to be the weight of the spring at full compression, not the weight per change in length of an inch like many other industries. (Pretty sure they is what they explain on Wolf's website)

Just to be sure, maybe take the spring you are having trouble with out with the guide rod. Manually compress it until all the coils touch and measure the length. Then calculate the length of space left inside the gun for the spring at full recoil. That will tell you if the issue is indeed the spring bottoming out or not.

Trust  me... i checked it out.  the freshly opened pack listed 11# long slide.  could wolff have stuck a different one in? Sure.

Using a "standard" spring and it works flawlessly  (again).  i put in 5 different guide rods (ls cone fit, normal cone fit, ls factory, stock 2 factory and a cz polymer). Used 2 different spring  cups. Assembled slide only, slide n barrel, slide n barrel n guide rods. All moved to full stroke. Add the ls 11 spring....binds short of reaching the slide lock catch.

Change to a shorter or thinner wire spring and it worked.

33 minutes ago, EngineerEli said:

I have to wonder if they didn't just send you the wrong spring... In my experience the long slide = short slide + 2 lbs has seemed true. Especially since you are having the issue with an 11 lb spring which is not that strong. Remember they make these guns in 10mm with what... 24 lb springs? Are you certain there isn't something going on with your reverse plug or something?

Also, just a general note to all, free length is not everything when it comes to springs, wire diameter, and number of coils also effects spring weight which if I recall is supposed to be the weight of the spring at full compression, not the weight per change in length of an inch like many other industries. (Pretty sure they is what they explain on Wolf's website)

Just to be sure, maybe take the spring you are having trouble with out with the guide rod. Manually compress it until all the coils touch and measure the length. Then calculate the length of space left inside the gun for the spring at full recoil. That will tell you if the issue is indeed the spring bottoming out or not.

Memphismechanic,  i run a cut 6# spring  for my 135gr bayou rounds making 132pf. Slide speed is not at all slow.  But mine has loosened up a bit. Polished plus 18-20k live rounds.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I'm always interested when I hear that guys are running a 6lb spring with 147s. Even at my preferred 133-135pf, my 147gr load wouldn't run on an 8 pound spring. I need a 10 for my gun to cycle consistently, even with aggressive polishing of the frame rails & grooves and the gun choked in a death grip.

I'm hoping the slide to frame fit loosens up after a few thousand rounds, and I can run a lighter spring.

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The only rounds I have run through the gun so far are 147s that chrono'ed at 128pf last weekend. I put an 8lb spring in the gun as a starting point and it has been flawless thus far. I did polish the heck out of the rails but my slide to frame fit is far from awe-inspiring. 

11 hours ago, johnbu said:

Trust  me... i checked it out.  the freshly opened pack listed 11# long slide.  could wolff have stuck a different one in? Sure.

Using a "standard" spring and it works flawlessly  (again).  i put in 5 different guide rods (ls cone fit, normal cone fit, ls factory, stock 2 factory and a cz polymer). Used 2 different spring  cups. Assembled slide only, slide n barrel, slide n barrel n guide rods. All moved to full stroke. Add the ls 11 spring....binds short of reaching the slide lock catch.

Change to a shorter or thinner wire spring and it worked.

Memphismechanic,  i run a cut 6# spring  for my 135gr bayou rounds making 132pf. Slide speed is not at all slow.  But mine has loosened up a bit. Polished plus 18-20k live rounds.

How many coils do you clip from your 6lb springs? I compared the length of the "6lb long slide" spring I received to the "8lb standard" I have in the gun and there are within 1/16". They feel very similar in terms of resistance when racking the slide. Would anyone happen to have an uncut 6lb spring they would be willing to measure for length and wire diameter?