Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 station one crash problem

I've been working with Dillon on a continued problem of my empty shells crashing into the sizing/decapping die on station one on a 2 month old 650 set up for 9mm.  The tool head works perfect in my other 650, causing questions.  Here's what I've done to try to solve the problem (none have worked):

- new shelll plate, adjusted shell plate from too loose to too tight

- lighter spring and ball under shell plate as well as the stock spring/ball

- adjustment of the shell "pusher" going into station one from too loose to too tight

- double checked timing and it's fine

- I've tried three different brand sizing/decapping dies

I've isolated the problem to the "click" when the shell plate is rising up, about half way up.  This click just slightly kicks the empty shell from it's fully seated position in the shell plate causing the crash.

Any ideas how to soften this "click" to allow the shell to stay firmly seated in the shell plate?  Or any idea why the click is so harsh?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Polaris13

The click is the shell plate advancing pawl resetting. Mine is barely noticeable.

Perhaps you could use a weaker or shorter spring so it doesn't snap into position so hard.

That really makes no sense though, as the shell plate shouldn't be loose enough to where that pawl resetting should cause the shell plate to move at all.

The problematic 650 is mounted right next to a known perfectly working 650, so vibration isn't an issue for sure.  As a matter of fact there are four bags of lead and 8000 bullets on the bench right behind the loader, so I can comfortably say that there is no vibration. 

I am going to switch the pawl and spring from the known working machine to the problem machine and see if that works.  I'll let you guys know.  So far, thanks for the input, I appreciate it very much.

I'm sure it'll get figured out, Dillon machines are just too good.  I have three more Dillon machines that run perfect all the time.

Watch the movement of your Case Insert Slide - if it moves all the way to the left before the Shell Plate has fully indexed, the case will be held back and then it will "snap" into place when the Shell Plate recess is aligned. This can cause the case to fall over (the vibration can also cause powder to jump out of the charged cases, making a mess). If this is indeed happening, try adjusting the Camming Pin (#13371) downwards (you will have to loosen the Cam Pin Jam Nut #13901 first). This will delay the leftward-movement of the Case Insert Slide and eliminate this snapping phenomenon. Bear in mind that re-adjustment may be required for other calibers.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

8 hours ago, TDA said:

The click is the shell plate advancing pawl resetting. Mine is barely noticeable.

Perhaps you could use a weaker or shorter spring so it doesn't snap into position so hard.

That really makes no sense though, as the shell plate shouldn't be loose enough to where that pawl resetting should cause the shell plate to move at all.

If this is happening, inspect the tip of the index Pawl - it is made from soft aluminum and tends to deform over time. Filing it to remove the burs will solve the snapping of the Ring Indexer. I would be surprised if this was causing the case to tip over though.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

small glob of grease on the reset pawl might deaden the click. Mine does it to but only enough to make powder jump a little in a case. Make sure the case is not sticking to the cam when it withdrawls. I clean the face with a qtip and alcohol occasionally.

Guys,

I want to thank you all for your help.  I spent most of yesterday trying your solutions and others as well, all with no luck.  I even put the toolhead back into the other 650 that it came out of and it ran perfect.  I've boxed it up and will take the nice folks at Dillon up on their offer to send a pick up ticket and let them have at it.

Best Regards