Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan 9mm Weight

jschweg

I'm planning on buying an STI Trojan very soon for IDPA ESP and maybe USPSA SS.

I have a question about weight, as I know it will be right around 42oz with the Dawson Ice Mag well on there. I really want to put VZ grips on it as well, but I know they are significantly heavier than the stock STI wood grips. Being that it will tip the scales with the grips, just looking for the best strategy for getting it in spec.

I know that the steel guide rod is pretty heavy, would swapping that out to an aluminum version get me under? I know I could go with a GI setup, but I think I want to stay with the FLGR for now.

According to IDPA rules, that change should be legal since I'm not making the guide rod any heavier right?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

You don't even have the gun yet?  I wouldn't order extra parts just to reduce weight before you even get the gun; you might not need them.  My Trojan has a steel S&A magwell, slim VZ grips, and a GI guide rod and it makes weight.  If you get the aluminum Dawson magwell you'd likely be fine with the stock guide rod.

You don't even have the gun yet?  I wouldn't order extra parts just to reduce weight before you even get the gun; you might not need them.  My Trojan has a steel S&A magwell, slim VZ grips, and a GI guide rod and it makes weight.  If you get the aluminum Dawson magwell you'd likely be fine with the stock guide rod.

Actually that's really good to know. If you have a steel Magwell and the VZ's, then it sounds like I might need nothing. Not buying parts or anything, this is the sort of thing that I do to occupy my impatient brain while I finish saving for the gun lol

My Trojan, in 9mm, with wood grips, steel FLGR, Dawson ice aluminum magwell, and Tripp 10rd mags with plastic base plates is exactly 43.0 oz on a calibrated scale.

the caliber is important because the 9mm barrel weighs a good bit more than a 45 barrel.

Thanks for the info. This is the exact same configuration that I'm going to have.

My Trojan with the Dawson aluminum magwell, VZ grips, and Dawson competition mags, was 1/10th ounce overweight. I put in the Dawson aluminum guide rod to reduce the weight. It supposedly doesn't last like a steel rod, so I use it only for major matches, and put in the steel for our local matches.

That variance could also be due to what magazine is used.  The Wilson mag with a plastic base pad and spacer weighs less than a Dawson with metal base pad and spacer.  I think it was about .5oz lighter if I remember correctly.