Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA classifications change under 2017 rules?

selecw

I see that your highest classification will apply to all semi auto guns. Presumably to reduce sandbagging.

Any idea if this will be applied to current classifications, or do you need to shoot the new classifier for it to take effect?

Thanks

I'm wonderig the same. 

I'm gonna take a guess. It'll be retroactive. 

So, you have a MA in SSP and an EX in ESP. I'm guessing after 1/17 that shooter will be MA in all semi auto divisions.

If not, once the easier classifier goes into effect, the EX shooters will make MA and then the SS shooters will make EX and the MA will be competing against EX shooters that are really SS if they shoot ESP. 

Make sense?

I also wonder what's gonna happen when all these shooters make the next higher classification but can't compete with the better shooters?  I'm guessing they'll complain and there'll be another change on the rules. 

Edited by B_RAD

Good question about the targets.

Has anyone setup the new course and ran it for practice?   We did that a couple of weeks ago and noticed that we all got a class bump.  Its was a couple of us that last classified in the middle of the SS class. Granted I've been shooting in more games and doing a bit more practice since then. But, as a buddy of mine pointed out, the biggest factor to the new times is the fewer number of draws from the holster.  Sure, you shoot fewer rounds and there's only 1 set of head-shots during the 6-reload-6. However, if your first shot out of the holster is a .5, that reduction in the number of draws does quite a bit since they reduced the number of 'resets' throughout the entire classifier.

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot it but I guess I will have to do it again with a circle in the head box. It makes no sense to release classifier times and not require use of the new target, unless they are going to adjust the times again come 2018.