Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 ejector issue

genesis9mm

I bought the Springfield Amory 'Range officer' in 9mm two years ago

great pistol and a real pleasure ti shoot,,

About every 40 or so shots the ejector will spit a casing right directly between the eyes, everything else is safely discharged in a fairly localised scattering of casings,

I reload all my ammo and generly run on the upper end of the recomended powder charge.

generly a little supprising but not a great safety issue

11 hours ago, js1130146 said:

Do you load mixed range brass?

I'd guess this is probably the issue.  There is enough variation in mixed brass rim thickness/diameter to cause the ejection pattern to vary.  That's why folks often have trouble running 9 Major with a CMore Slideride.  

You could try profiling the tip of the ejector with a slightly different shape, but there's no guarantee of success.

I shoot mixed brass nearly every day and never have a problem. Sounds to me like the issue you are having is 1. extractor tension/fit 2. ejector nose angle 3. chamber isn't finish reamed (I know this for certain unless you have had it done by someone because I've personally reamed a bunch of them for guys).

One of these three things can cause random issues. But all three can cause the same issue you are explaining repeatedly.