Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL-650 Indexer Return Springs Breaking

I have had my XL-650 for about 10 years, and have had to replace the Indexer Return Spring (#13791) about once every year or so. However, recently I have had this part break much more frequently - perhaps only every 1000 rounds or so. Breakage location is towards one end of the spring (a loop  breaks off). Dillon are always great about sending replacements of course, but I am puzzled by the increased breakage rate. I cannot see any problem with the spring's installation (it does not appear to be under any unusual stress).

Has anyone else been experiencing more breakages of this part recently? Any suggestions as to how I might mitigate the problem?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Maybe tear it down and see if the index ring moves freely? Might be cracked or deformed and binds now and then putting too much strain on the spring.

Tearing down the press usually yields pretty good info for me.

After your previous post I had applied grease at the metal post end when i installed a new spring, and the spring broke at the other (plastic post) end after only about 1000 cycles. I installed another new spring and this time the entire spring is swimming in grease, as well as the semi-circular track it runs in... fingers crossed for no more breakages.

What is puzzling me is why the failure rate has accelerated so dramatically in 2016. For years I have run this press and seen these springs break only once every year or two, all with no grease. Curiouser and curiouser said Alice :D.

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Seems likely to me that something which the spring moves back and forth is galled or sticking: the shellplate and it's ratchet mechanism aren't moving as freely as they used to.

The breakage is at the loop on the end of the spring, so not an area subject to external abrasion. The shellplate and indexer ring seem to rotate as smoothly as ever when I move them independently by hand. I guess there could have been some gradual degradation over the years that I have not noticed. If I get another premature breakage I will pull the platform, look closely at that whole area, and replace the indexer ring. Fingers crossed the grease will do the trick.