Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Stoeger M3k to cycle lighter loads

Hi_Im_Vinh

I recently purchased a brand new Stoeger M3k for 3-Gun as my first shotgun , so far I've put roughly 300 or so rounds of various ammo through it all rated at 1200fps or higher . 

My issue now is trying to get it to cycle/run some Norma 12 gauge ammo I purchased, went crazy on black friday and purchased 55 boxes ( I know rookie mistake ) . Boxes stated 1200 fps so I figured hey why not at $4.87 a box / free shipping.

I've followed some steps online and youtube to help the shotgun cycle these loads :

1. Sand/Polish magazine tube that recoil spring sits on

2. Sand/Polish contact points on the Action Bar that holds bolt

3. Sand/Polish the two rear parts of the bolt that comes in contact with the hammer and carrlier latch when bolt comes rearward to stock

4. Polish contact points bolt makes with hammer and carrlier latch lever

Another idea that I'm pondering since my issue lies in a FTE issue , is to change out the hammer spring to a lighter one . Reason being when I rack the bolt back you can feel the most tension in the action when the bolt makes contact with the hammer.

Thanks to all those who can chime in and help me out.

1375 rounds of Norma?  Wellll. If you have a recoil reducer, take it out.  If you have a hard sidesaddle, take it off and/or switch for nylon. Other than that, start with a RP 10/22 mainspring in place of your hammer spring.  You can get M2000 action springs pretty cheaply from Numrich, so picking up a couple of those to modify could be worthwhile.  I'm not a 3 gunner, but I put a good bit of effort into learning the inertial systems in the early 90s, and spent some detailed time with the M2000.:)

20 hours ago, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

I recently purchased a brand new Stoeger M3k for 3-Gun as my first shotgun , so far I've put roughly 300 or so rounds of various ammo through it all rated at 1200fps or higher . 

Which 1200 FPS shells worked 100% for your M3K?  How many OZ of shot did those shells have?

3 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

Which 1200 FPS shells worked 100% for your M3K?  How many OZ of shot did those shells have?

13 hours ago, Rob72 said:

1375 rounds of Norma?  Wellll. If you have a recoil reducer, take it out.  If you have a hard sidesaddle, take it off and/or switch for nylon. Other than that, start with a RP 10/22 mainspring in place of your hammer spring.  You can get M2000 action springs pretty cheaply from Numrich, so picking up a couple of those to modify could be worthwhile.  I'm not a 3 gunner, but I put a good bit of effort into learning the inertial systems in the early 90s, and spent some detailed time with the M2000.:)

Yes I know... haha . No recoil reducer nor sidesaddle ( not quite sure what that is ) , also what is a RP 10/22 . Do you mean ruger 10/22 ? Thanks for all your input 

3 hours ago, gnhowell1 said:

Buy an extra recoil spring and cut a few coils off the one you have.  Go slow and cut a few at a time and test. 

I'd like to avoid cutting springs if possible

3 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

Estate Super Sport Competition Target Load 1 oz. / 7.5 shot from Academys , I just looked at the box now and it says 1235 fps . but still the lightest recoil I've felt vs all the winchester and remington I've tried and it cycles them excellent 

10 hours ago, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

Yes I know... haha . No recoil reducer nor sidesaddle ( not quite sure what that is ) , also what is a RP 10/22 . Do you mean ruger 10/22 ? Thanks for all your input 

I'd like to avoid cutting springs if possible

The sidesaddle is a receiver or stock mounted shell carrier.  Inertia guns can become "iffy" with the extra weight.  RP= Reduced Power, as in a reduced power Ruger 10/22 hammer spring.:)

You've got a LOT of ammo giving you an issue, so if you don't have weight you can easily remove, and if the RP hammer spring doesn't quite get you there, you may end up having to try trimming an action spring.  Those are the cheap solutions.  You can go whole hog and send your bolt to be lightened, maybe try a titanium bolt handle, but personally, the time and $ invested in a lighter hammer spring and a couple of spare action springs to modify is cheap entry-level stuff.  If you want it to gobble anything dumped into it, you'll want a smith to do the tuning.  May be worth it for your goals, but $$$.

Edited by Rob72

I replaced my extractor and extractor spring with the Benelli one and now my M3K ejects everything that I have tried, except the JM 3 gun (Fiocchi) shells. Those shells fail every shot for some reason. Luckily a friend of mine has a pump so he bought the rest of the case I had. You can do all sorts of modifications or just change your ammo, for the most part the M3K is very reliable in my experience.