Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying A New Glock...

cautery

Ok, I need to buy a new pistol. I had a G22 that I had done lots and lots of work on and I loved it. Unfortunately, it is gone now (with my original prototype barrel), so I am starting over. :(

Since I am "Glockless" at the moment, this new pistol will need to fulfill several roles for a while in the following order:

1) As the testbed pistol for use in testing the results of my various projects, not the least of which is the final design of my custom barrel design.

2) As my carry weapon.

3) Regular range practice and local pistol matches.

I prefer to stay with the .40, since I have the most experience with that cartridge, and since I still have the chamber reamer I had made for my barrel design. I want to be able to use the data I gathered a few years ago as a base on which to continue my R&D into the final design.

So, I suppose my choice is between the G22 and G35.

I'm leaning toward another G22, since the G35 would not be conducive to carry, but I could just get the G35 and wait to buy a carry weapon later. However, I'd have to buy a new holster for it. I DO still have my belt, holster, and mag holders that I bought for the G22.

Any thoughts? I will eventually end up with both, but I don't really want to buy them both right now.

Thanks,

Go with the G35, it will be a great platform for Limited/L-10 divisions, or download and shoot 40 minor for Production.....who says the G35 isnt conducive to carry, I'm a small guy and have no problems concealing one.

I also dont have a problem concealing my G35. But if you were interested in both, you could get a G35 for the testbed and competition use. Then you could get a G22 upper and leave it stock for carry use.

Good point...

Another plus for the G35 in my situation is that testing data on my barrel design would be more easily correlated with the existing base of competition G35s...

I shoot a G35 and have shot a G22. As I see it, there are only two relevant differences. The G35 is much more controllable than the G22, so it's more suited to competition. The G22 is much cheaper than the G35. I'm not the kind of guy that gives a damn whether I buy used or not. If it's not used when I get it, it's certainly going to be after a couple of months. With that in mind, G35s are hard to find used and are still pretty expensive when they can be found. One can get a LEO trade-in on a G22 for way less than $400.

Go with the 35. I picked up a used one in December and I can't say enough good things about it. They make for great Limited/Limited 10 pistols. I don't know about carrying one though. My carry gun is a 17.

The G35 is much more controllable than the G22, so it's more suited to competition. 

I agree that the G22 is cheaper and easier to find used. I don't agree that it's not as controlable than the G35 - as a general statement anyway (I can't speak for you).

I shoot LTD with a G22 and I like it better then the G35 (I sold mine). However, I am the minority on that position. I see lots of 35's and almost no 22's in competition.

chp5 - I bought your 35 from you back in December. Actually my wife did. That was a sweet Christmas present. I really like the G35 but I do shoot better with my 17 than I do with the 35. So that got me thinking that maybe I would shoot a 22 better since some people shoot better with shorter barrels. What kind of mods did you make on your 22 that you shoot in limited?

I agree that the G22 is cheaper and easier to find used.  I don't agree that it's not as controlable than the G35  - as a general statement anyway (I can't speak for you).

I shoot LTD with a G22 and I like it better then the G35 (I sold mine).  However, I am the minority on that position.  I see lots of 35's and almost no 22's in competition.

I failed to qualify my statement. In my experience, it seems that most people find the 34/35 easier to control, though there seems to be a significant number of shooters that prefer the 17/22 and find it easier to shoot.

From a rational perspective it would seem obvious that the longer barrel and slide has less of a recoil impulse. However, without an empirical measurement it would be difficult to qualify how significant the difference would be. In the absence of that, it really just depends on feel. That still doesn't address the fact that there are other handling characteristics aside from recoil that may impact a person's preference.

After shooting the 35 for a while, I find that the 22 just seems to be too "flippy" for my taste. It also seems to point better for me.

chp5 - I bought your 35 from you back in December.  Actually my wife did.  That was a sweet Christmas present.  I really like the G35 but I do shoot better with my 17 than I do with the 35.  So that got me thinking that maybe I would shoot a 22 better since some people shoot better with shorter barrels.  What kind of mods did you make on your 22 that you shoot in limited?

Not many mods:

* .090 front sight,

* 5 lbs Ghost Rocket connector,

* trigger bar that's has a slightly higher spring hole,

* Glockmeister trigger return spring,

* magwell,

* steel guide rod,

* skate tape, and

* practice :)

Good luck.

If you need something now, and money is tight, get a used G22 (I know where there are some..send me a message).

If you want to compare apples to past apples, get the G35. It may be a bit better for your purposes....with the slightly longer sight radius.

Other than that, the two are close to identical.

Hey Kyle...

Nah, money isn't really "tight". I can buy either or both NIB today if I decided to... I just thought I'd "space 'em out" a bit and use the rest to pick up some other stuff I need to get like a good timer, chrono, vacuum chamber, pressure chamber, et al...

I can grab the other one later...

Kevin... not a bad suggestion... G35 and a second upper...

In any event, thanks you all for helping me decide....

G35 it is... :)

The G35 is just about the perfect length & slide weight for 40cal Major.

The G17 is just about the perfect length & slide weight for 9mm minor.

With no magwell either one conceals inside the pants, behind a wallet, no problem.

My opinion...

Nah, money isn't really "tight".  I can buy either or both NIB today if I decided to...  I just thought I'd "space 'em out" a bit and use the rest to pick up some other stuff I need to get like a good timer, chrono, vacuum chamber, pressure chamber, et al...

I can grab the other one later...

Kevin... not a bad suggestion...  G35 and a second upper...

In any event, thanks you all for helping me decide....

G35 it is...  :)

I love my G35, good luck with yours. If you can't find one locally for around $600, you should be able to get one from topglock and get it transferred for about that price. That's what I did.

A NIB G22? One can only imagine. What's the vacuum chamber and pressure chamber for?

Thanks Kyle... I'd like to talk to you on the phone sometime... September will be here before you know it, and I need to make the most of my training time. I could use a "head start" on planning training efficiently from someone with more experience.

• 1 month later...

For a carry gun, nothing beats a Glock 17. Just choose a reliable ammo for it. I'm not particular with the caliber of the gun, as long as you are comfortable using it. The 9mm would not have lasted for a long time if it wasn't good; likewise, the .40 would not have lasted if it did not live up to shooters' expectations.