Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rate my first reloads

Triemferent

Hello all

I recently started reloading to produce some plinking rounds.  After reading some manuals and watching lots of vids, I decided to purchase a Dillon 650 to get going.  My local shop recommended I try Hogden Universal so I bought 1 lbs along with Win SSP and some 115gr FMJ-RN.   Using the Hornady manual, I made some ladder loads from 4.0 gr to 4.5 gr. with a OAL of 1.10" .  I used 2 different pistols (5" barrel and 3" barrel) to test my loads.  I settled on 4.4gr because it seemed to shoot pretty good and eject consistently.  Since then I've loaded/shot another 200 rounds of 4.4 grains and I seem to shoot the same (if not a bit more accurate) when compared to factory loads.  Some observations Ive made with my reloads are that the brass is a lot dirtier and I getting some muzzle flash, where I dont get with factory loads.  

So my question is, how do I know if I have the right powder/grain?  Like I said, Im only reloading for plinking and generally shooting at paper so developing major loads and power factor are not important to me right now.  I do have access to Win231 and Tightgroup, so im not sure if I should try other powder or work with Universal for a bit longer.  Any advice/criticism you can provide is appreciated.   

I got my start reloading 124gr FMJ over 4.3-4.4gr Universal.  Your 4.4gr load with 115gr bullets is right at or below "starting".  You're probably right around 1000fps...but a chrongraph would tell you.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:32 PM, Triemferent said:

I settled on 4.4gr because it  shoots pretty good .    the brass is dirtier and I getting  muzzle flash

how do I know if I have the right powder/grain?   I'm reloading for plinking and generally shooting at paper so developing major loads and power factor are not important to me right now.  I do have access to Win231 and Tightgroup,

As mentioned above, you've hit on the right load - if works well.    :bow:

Don't worry about dirty brass or muzzle flash for plinking.

There is no "right powder/grain" for plinking and PF is "not important" to you.

I would think you might enjoy the WW231 better, and might want to try that one day.

BUT, no reason to change anything - you've done it - got exactly what you wanted:)

BTW, a chrono is a GREAT idea for $70 :) 

Find a chronograph.

If the above poster is correct and you are at or below a starting load, dirty brass and guns will be expected.

Things burn more cleanly as you get closer to the maximum loads.

Cleanliness also depends greatly on the powder in question. Some are always going to leave the gun dirty, while powders like N-320 and Prima V will leave it nearly spotless.