Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting poly coated (or non-coated, for argument sake) cast indoors.. Anyone been checked?

taymag

I know everyone says its fine, and it probably is, especially with coated, but does anyone shoot a massive amount of cast indoor that's been checked?

The main things Ive ever seen as warnings are birth defects, and I'm not done having kids... Not that I would want to have lead in my blood after I have kids [BD]

I know its 1/10000 but when it comes to that, sometimes those odds are enough to question.

Outdoor range is definitely my preference but I live in South Florida, I'm in it for the fun and 100+ degrees isn't that sometimes. Plus I live 2 minutes from the indoor range (sweet sweet a/c)

Not massive.
2k a month coated.
I smelt range lead (a ton a year)
Cast my own
Coat my own
Load my own.
I shoot and compete indoors; the worst is pin competition with guys shooting lead with Titegroup IMO.
I at "14", I get tested annually.

26 minutes ago, oteroman said:

Not massive.
2k a month coated.
I smelt range lead (a ton a year)
Cast my own
Coat my own
Load my own.
I shoot and compete indoors; the worst is pin competition with guys shooting lead with Titegroup IMO.
I at "14", I get tested annually.

I'm going to get tested for now on, just figured I would ask. 2k a month is a good amount though, at least for a benchmark to see if you're picking up any lead or not.

Kind of a different topic, but relevant to this one... Does anyone know if the bottom layer of poly coating melts off when shooting mid range loads (never close to max, if that matters)?

I got to 28 shooting outdoors, USPSA 6 times a month (1,500-2,000 a month). That was with moly coated lead. Switched to Bayous  (HiTek) coating, and in 4 months my blood lead dropped to 8, then 4 months later, down to 6, about the same as guys shooting CMJs. There is still lead exhaust in the primer. HiTek coating, when properly applied and cured, does not melt

5 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

I got to 28 shooting outdoors, USPSA 6 times a month (1,500-2,000 a month). That was with moly coated lead. Switched to Bayous  (HiTek) coating, and in 4 months my blood lead dropped to 8, then 4 months later, down to 6, about the same as guys shooting CMJs. There is still lead exhaust in the primer. HiTek coating, when properly applied and cured, does not melt

Man, that's shooting outdoors?!!? Is HiTek different than poly coated?

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

Hi Tek coating is all you'll really find from Bayou, Black Bullets International, HS, SNS, and quite a few other places.

Good stuff, and quite affordably priced.

Yup, I buy mine from Acme.  The price is right and they are local to me.  There is a sample board from Acme in our local shop where the lead will actually melt from a torch before the coating will break down.