Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 Single Stack

Tokarev

Hello.

I'm in the process of converting my .38 Super single stack to a 9mm to use as a skills builder and ESP gun.

Who's mags should I be looking at? Mec-Gar? Metalform?

Thanks, as always.

Hello.

I'm in the process of converting my .38 Super single stack to a 9mm to use as a skills builder and ESP gun.

Who's mags should I be looking at?  Mec-Gar?  Metalform?

Thanks, as always.

Our springer works best with the new meltalform mags, with the groove in the front.

Some 1911 9mm's work with super mags, but ours won't.

Ted

• 2 weeks later...
This is just my personal experience, but I've never had much luck with Metalform mags of any stripe. OTOH, I've never had a single problem with Mec-Gar 9mm 1911 mags. My vote: Mec-Gar. YMMV.

I would have to agree BUT>>>>>BUT, how the heck do you drill into those dang things for installing base pads. I've baffled mechanics and gunsmiths alike trying to find a bit that will drill into the stainless Mecgar mags....IMPOSSIBLE?

:unsure:

Redmist10,

Have said gunsmiths and Mechinists figured out how to get them into your revolver yet ?????  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

See you in OHIO next week !

SAM

:lol::lol: BWAHAHAHA - first things first....gotta get the pads on...

if you use a carbide bit in a drill press or mill there should be no problems using a hand drill it's somethign i wouldn't even attempt... just don't crush your mag in the vice ;-)

I'm willing to give you one and let you spend the money on carbide drill bits...Willing to make a bet you spend more on drill bits before you DENT one let alone make a hole....we've ruined four and gave up...alien metal, I tell you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a chance to hit the range and run some rounds through my "new" 9mm. While the .38 Super mags will feed ball they won't feed hollowpoints. The rounds in the mag nosedive and get stuck in the mags. With hollowpoints the sharp edge snags on the front edge of the mags and will not feed.

I have ordered four of the Springfield mags from Brownell's. Hopefully those will get my 9mm 100% with everything.

Why not just use the blued 9mm Mec-Gars? They might be more easily penetrated.

Oh, NOW you tell me after I have ten of the stainless ones.... :lol:

Thanks Ted, if you have drilled the blued ones then I'll get those. The stainless ones work flawlessly, you just can't drill into them. :wacko: