Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Springs

I am shooting a 1911 40 cal Springfield with the factory recoil and mainspring in it. I am looking for a powder puff load to punch holes in paper. I've searched this forum extensively and found most prefer 3.5 grains of titegroup pushing an 180 grain jhp bullet.So I tried it. I loaded it to 1.125 oal. It felt like a 22 and dropped the brass at my feet. The only thing it would not kick the slide back far enough to lock it back on the last round. My question is If I put a lighter recoil spring in would it help. Also what # spring would you recommend. Would it make a difference in changing the main spring? I do not want to compromise the functioning of the gun whatsoever. 100% reliability is a must

If you have the ILS, swap it out for a standard MSH (an S&A magwell, ideally) and plop a 17-lb MS in it. For poofter loads, you could probably go to 10 lbs on the recoil spring. Most Limited guns are running 12.5-lb springs (mine is) and that's with 4.4 grains of Titegroup under a 180 in a 6-inch barreled gun.

I'm running a 12lb spring in my 5" .40 STI Trojan. Shooting UMC 180gr stuff (at approx 1000fps, apparently), it chucks the brass about 8 feet out. With that little poof load, a 10lb will probably work well, too.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the techinical information (aka FAQ) of Wolff Gunsprings, spring choice is a matter of trial and error, depending on what load you use. Better check their FAQ section. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I run the 12.5 lb spring in the STI with 180gr JHP with 3.9 gr of Titegroup. No frame battering. You could get away with a 3.2 load of Titegroup which will get you into 750 fps or so, (My gun). I'd try the 12.5 to 10 lb range. If the gun feels like the slide is cycling too fast and hitting the frame, go up to the next weight.

• 2 weeks later...