Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 custom Shadow slide won't close!

1eyedfatman

I installed the flat safety in my Shadow and on reassembly, the slide won't close...with or without the barrel.  The slide goes back to about where the safety is and then won't go back any further.  I looked all around and can't figure it out.  With the slide out, the safety works testing the trigger.  Any ideas to get the slide to close on reassembly?

I checked the sear spring (the spring that presses on the safety bar) and its down.  It stops right about at the sear.  I can't tell if it makes contact with it, but the sear seems like its seated OK and the safety is installed through it.

I think I figured it out.  I call CZ-Custom and sent stuart a couple photos and he gave me some fitting suggestions.  On the right side where the safety bar goes into the right safety, I filed off a little to allow the bar to go in a little deeper (which would cause the left safety to sit more flush on the outside of the left frame).  It looked pretty flush to me already, but just filed a little more.  There was a specific area I did this on the safety bar which is kinda hard to describe.

The area I filed which I think maid the biggest difference was more towards the left side of the safety bar.  That's kinda hard to describe too.  Starting from the left, there is a thick part of the bar that comes through the frame...this part is square and as you flip the safety, you can see the corner turn up into the slide path.  That part is OK and shouldn't be filed as its expected to do that.  But moving slightly right of that, the bar narrows for like 1mm and then gets thick again.  It was this other think area which it looked like the slide was bumping into.  I filed off part of that thick area closest to the slide.  After doing that, I could see the slide could get past it.  There is a channel between the 2 thick areas that the side passes between which needed to be filed wider.

I plan to shoot it today but dry-testing shows it works.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for posting 1eyedfatman. You've helped me out a lot. I had the same issue trying to install the free wide bodied safety that came in the box with my Shadow 2. Slide woudn't close, visibly sticking on that raised piece of the safety bar and sear spring notch in the safety bar didn't come completely through out of the sear cage, so it was tough to get the sear spring leg back down into it. I removed a little metal from the two spots you indicated with a file and the slide now closes and the sear spring notch is fully accessible. The safety works properly and the gun is fine with dry firing.  I also installed an 11# recoil spring, a 13# main spring and a lighter firing pin spring and will test it down at the range tomorrow.  It sucks a bit to get a factory part supplied with a new gun that didn't fit but I didn't want to travel to the gun store to get them to sort it out and now good to go, thanks to your post.      

• 2 years later...

Just a shout out of thanks to 1eyedfatman for saving my range session tomorrow. In my case, I had to remove metal from the notch between the two "nubs" on the left-side part of the safety bar for the slide to pass.

39 minutes ago, Northto said:

Just a shout out of thanks to 1eyedfatman for saving my range session tomorrow. In my case, I had to remove metal from the notch between the two "nubs" on the left-side part of the safety bar for the slide to pass.

Damn, wish I would have found this sooner...I had to fit one to an SP-01 and it really needs fitting on the Shadow 1 too, but can fit without (for now). 

You can see some shiny stuff on the left side, just where my thumb is. 
The slide rail would catch that, I had to file off about 1mm of metal. 
I need to do about half of that for teh Shadow 1, but it you tap out the safety, it clears it.  
I am assuming once it gets broke in, I will have to remove some material. Or Not. 
This is the wide safety from CZC. 

P.S. I love it. 

safety_2_jpg.jpg