Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P16 Mainspring Housing

recon215

Am I correct in thinking the para's require a different mainspring housing than the singlestack 1911s and STI guns? If so, I need help in finding a flat mainspring housing for my P16! Am getting an ICE magwell this weekend and will need to replace the housing as well due to it being attached to the current magwell.

Thanks

Am I correct in thinking the para's require a different mainspring housing than the singlestack 1911s and STI guns? If so, I need help in finding a flat mainspring housing for my P16! Am getting an ICE magwell this weekend and will need to replace the housing as well due to it being attached to the current magwell.

Thanks

Nope, Paras use the same dimensioned mainspring housing as SS and S*I's. What magwell are you using now?

DVC,

Sam Spiteri

Thanks

Nope, Paras use the same dimensioned mainspring housing as SS and S*I's. What magwell are you using now?

DVC,

Sam Spiteri

Well Sam,

I am getting mixed stories here. :wacko: The guy I bought it from on USPSA site says its an ed brown, but another source tells me brown never made a single mainspring/magwell combo part??? He says it sounds like an S&A. The well itself makes a complete square around the pistol grip mag opening! If this is an S&A I was told that the frame had been cut to accomodate it, but I can't tell if the thing has been cut or not! So confused and wanting a different setup!

Ed Brown made a 2 piece mainspring housing and mag well for the Para. The mag well attached to the housing via an allen screw. A few years ago, EGW started to make a Para mag well that attached to the above-mentioned Ed Brown Para mainspring housing.

I think that the only company that made a one piece mag well/mainspring housing thingy was Smith & Alexander (S&A). For the S&A 1pc part, some slight work had to be done to the frame to blend in the mag well.

-David

Ed Brown made a 2 piece mainspring housing and mag well for the Para.  The mag well attached to the housing via an allen screw.  A few years ago, EGW started to make a Para mag well that attached to the above-mentioned Ed Brown Para mainspring housing.

I think that the only company that made a one piece mag well/mainspring housing thingy was Smith & Alexander (S&A).  For the S&A 1pc part, some slight work had to be done to the frame to blend in the mag well.

-David

True David, it is an S&A and the frame was cut. Good news though, Dawson makes a retrofit ICE magwell for the cut frames, ordered it today and he says they only have 3 left atm. Now, I need a flat mainspring housing for a Para, and yes it must be made for a Para I was told by Dawson. Sooo, if any of you guys have 1 lying ariund you don't need, I sure could use it!

Thanks

I didn't care for the fit of the mainspring housing on the P-16 Ltd I bought. I put the MH from my SS Kimber on the Para and it was a perfect fit. I believe there was an S&A magwell on it originally.

The ICE magwell is money well spent.