Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting lead through polygonal Tanfo barrels

Like the Stock 2, my Stock 3 arrived with polygonal rifling in the barrel. In the past I've occasionally shot lead through my conventionally rifled S&W and (gasp!) my poly rifled G34.

Anyone have direct experience with feeding their polygonal Stock 2 or 3 a lead diet? General advice is to use quality bullets, avoid hot light-bullet loads, and to keep an eye on things at first , which worked well in the Glock.

Just looking for anyone with direct experience with it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've shot about 4000 bare lead in a S2-40 without issues and about the same in coated lead.   Also shot about 15,000 coated in 9mm without any issue.  All 9mm were minor, most 40sw were major.  no problems.

The only caveat to shooting lead, slug your barrel so you can get an appropriate diameter. Some of the barrels seem to be a smidge on the tight side. It can lead to some added lead deposit. But in all honesty, I think all of us probably take the guns down or at least field strip them to clean them after every match. I couldn't imagine huge lead buildup in 200 rounds +/- fired through the course of a match

2 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

The only caveat to shooting lead, slug your barrel so you can get an appropriate diameter. Some of the barrels seem to be a smidge on the tight side. It can lead to some added lead deposit. But in all honesty, I think all of us probably take the guns down or at least field strip them to clean them after every match. I couldn't imagine huge lead buildup in 200 rounds +/- fired through the course of a match

Valid point on slugging the barrel.

However...

I don't know any USPSA competitor who cleans their gun bieeekly, much less every 200 rounds. My M&P looked like this 90% of its life - a few drops of oil on every range day, and a good scrubbing every ~5,000 rounds unless a major match is approaching.

(And I'm not plannning to treat the Tanfo any more kindly. It needs to work when dirty, and work 100%)

I don't think that's just me. It's the norm with 90% of the guys I've shot with, at multiple clubs.

IMG_7180.JPG

2 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

I am meticulous with my guns. Coming from 1911s, it's just the nature of the beast. All my guns get put away clean.

I go through my tanfo after every match and every practice to make sure everything is wearing correctly and nothing looks wrong

I used to be like that, even though I started with the Glock platform.

When I began shooting an indoor match every Tuesday, and either live-fire practice or a second match on Saturday, that OCD habit calmed down rather quickly. Eight cleanings a month? Nah.

(Cleaning a gun is a slightly zenlike relaxing thing to do, but not when you're getting home at 11:00pm after having a beer following the indoor match, and work is early the next morning.)

Fast forward four years and I've learned it runs just fine with a cleaning every wheneverIfeellikeit.