Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Division - thumb safety reduction \ increasing pressure

CarlB86

The production appendix 22.1 mentions that you may not modify an external safety mechanism in any way that affects its function as a safety per the OFM design.

With this in mind many people like large extended safeties. However, what about making a safety smaller and tighter to the frame? My #1 issue with a CZ75 that I own is the safety is in a place that I put my hand. Extended ones eat my hand and break my grip. The standard one is decent, but I'd rather it be tighter. 

Would the rules allow reducing the safety to be nearly flush if you can still use it?

Would the rules allow turning an ambi-safety into a right side only safety by eliminating the section that sits outside the frame on the left side?

UPDATE:

DNROI states that we cannot modify the outside of the safety, but we can swap to a smaller factory safety. We can also increase the pressure required to activate it internally.

Edited by CarlB86

Better get clarification from DNROI because even though it still functions it would alter the appearance of the gun. Also, remember the golden rule of Production.

Please note that, during a match, a shooter may be required to demonstrate that their gun is in compli- ance with Division rules by identifying a specific rules clause or published interpretation which autho- rizes any disputed modification. If the shooter cannot identify an authorizing rules-clause or published interpretation, the RM shall rule that the modification is PROHIBITED for Production use and shall move the shooter to Open Division. 

17 minutes ago, teros135 said:

You can always swap safeties from another *approved* gun of the same make, for example the thinner CZ Rami safeties.

If those interchange, then that sounds like a very good solution without modding an external part. Thanks!

Ok, guys got some clarification from DNROI. Swapping to a smaller safety that is from the factory is fine. Modifying the outside of the safety is not.

Increasing the pressure needed to activate the safety is internal and is allowed. :D I'm going to experiment with increasing the force required to engage the safety. On 1911 I would drill the detent deeper, but not sure what the options are for a CZ/Tanfo

Thanks guys for the reccomendation on the subcompact safety. I orrdered a RAMI safety for my CZ75 to try that out, since that is the easiest solution. I'll also try increasing the detent with a spare safety

Well guys. I used a mixture of ideas. The extra power detent spring (thanks rowdyb) and the rami safety (teros135).

Really enjoy this setup. Doesn't interfere with my support hand at all. Even if it slides around on the safety it doesn't engage or chew up my palm.

s4BrpGHfKpiLR_i4f3kvQusPubCJDQz2mWcW_aPo

odoUiaasL7Uk4MexnWu6pawOF_nDJ3R8GZ4o0x7I

B870tBAXM1MuBjcTQMsY_dmIDgUDDFpE0rX2h_wB