Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to feed 2011 40 cal.

jstagn

Having occasional feed problems, trying to narrow it down to which mags/gun. Let me explain, round is going part way to almost full way into the chamber and the slide is not fully closed so gun will not fire, extractor is NOT in the rim part of the round so I cannot eject round except holding the slide back and shake the gun tilted up at a 45 degree angle. If I remove the mag and pull the slide back the extractor will 'jump' the rim and fully seat the round and fire and extract normally. Originally thought is was a weak old recoil spring, but it just happen on a new wolf 12lb. with 1600 rounds on it. Gun is clean. It has not happened in a match. Yesterday I shot my practice gun with same 3 mags over 200 rounds ZERO problems, shot match gun (same 5.4 sight tracker) and after a few loads 2 mags started having the problem again. Same load, same bullets same everything for over 15k rounds so that has not changed. Only thing I can think of is that practice gun has 13lb recoil spring ( and has more rounds on it) and match has 12lb. Any ideas/solutions?   Thanks...

Pulled and cleaned extractor. Forgot to mention that these are practice mags. I would not use any mags for match use until it was tested through many rounds without a failure. I am going to test my 'match' mags with these mags in the same shooting session, to see if it the mags or not. Thanks.

Ive been seeing the occasional issue as you describe.  Shot a 600 round match with one failure, was weakhand shooting though.  Shot another match the next weekend about 250 rounds without issue.  Yesterday had a round with the exact same problem as you.  I will check my feed lips to see if they are all still in spec. 

Do you have the SV extractor in the gun?  I've had a 9mm SV extractor work great for several thousand rounds and then all of a sudden start push feeding like you describe.  The round goes in front of the extractor and the slide won't fully close.  Had the same happen with a 40.  I've been told mag springs need to be changed more often.  I fixed the problem by installing Aftec extractors in both guns and never had the problems again.

I tried to make the SV extractors work and had to give up.   You could contact SV and get them to help you out.  My experience is they are very good to work with and they want to know if you are having problems with their products.   

since it seems confined to 1 or 2 mags the extractor is probably OK. However the gun is going back in 2 months for a checkup anyway and I will also send the mags. Mag specs  appear to be the same as other mags that work, this is what is so puzzling. Even changed spring and follower, same problem.

I had a similar problem with my Para 16-40 and two SPS magazines ... your's sounds similar. Changing the mag springs resolved my problem.

The extractor behind the case was the tip off to look for inertia feed ... When the slide would fly back (near the end of capacity on either of these two mags) ... the next round would dislodge from the magazine and lay there until the slide came forward and tried to push it into the chamber ... all was well except the gun would not go into battery with the extractor parked behind the case rim.

I fooled with this for a long time ... originally practically eliminating the problem by adding a recoil spring buffer and a stiffer recoil spring ... It all made sense after fixing the problem (the extreme "whack" of the slide was encouraging the top round to pop out of the weak springed mags ... the buffer and stronger spring simply masked the real problem).

I have seen some also state that they put a more "nose-up" bend at the top of the mag spring to keep the front of the follower pushing back on the top round.