Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light striker spring question, carry over from:Newbie question on primers

rustybayonet

Not sure if this question should go here but reading the primer post, it made me think: what good does a lighter striker spring make? I shoot for self preservation and I want my striker to fire what ever the gun eats. I can't see it causing any acuracy issues?

Some of us shoot REVOLVERS "DOUBLE ACTION ONLY" and they have light (TUNED)

trigger pull actions. Light pressure to the pull trigger in double action and very smooth.

I have a custom built revolver that's that's just great to shoot double action rapid fire.

These are NOT for self or home defense, but they could be. My revolver only fires with

FEDERAL PRIMERS (they are softer and go off with lighter strikes).

On 9/23/2016 at 2:27 PM, rustybayonet said:

Not sure if this question should go here but reading the primer post, it made me think: what good does a lighter striker spring make? I shoot for self preservation and I want my striker to fire what ever the gun eats. I can't see it causing any acuracy issues?

This is primarily a competition shooting forum. Most of the guns being discussed/built will be 'match only.'

The hammer spring or striker spring has more of an influence on the trigger pull weight than any other spring in the gun.

Guys who don't feed their weapons Russian or CCI primers sometimes run a slightly lighter spring.

Guys who don't mind shooting only Federal primers (the easiest to set off) will be running much much lighter springs.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This is primarily a competition shooting forum. Most of the guns being discussed/built will be 'match only.

I'm here for the reloading and love to wander around. After I got my dillon from Brian, he told me to check out the forum for info. This is the only forum I am active on, pretty much because I find the info I need right here. Back to the striker spring having the forward momentum, I don't see it causing an accuracy issue? Myself I collect old military firearms and can shoot accurat with most any gun. I think I have the hickok45 going on. I conform to the weapon, where the competition shooter makes the weapon conform to them and their style?

I have never seen anyone that didn't shoot a lighter trigger pull better or at least equal with less concentration, I have seen it take some adjustment. Acceptable results and best results are not the same for most people.

It's not the momentum or lock time that makes a big difference it is the lower necessary force of the trigger finger being easier to control as the tension goes out of the system.

Very low pull weights generally comes at a cost. Finicky reliability.