Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for low power variable scope with illumination

cbmax

Hello,

I just finished building my first AR 15 from scratch.  It is a matched set billet upper and lower with a 16 inch government profile barrel.

I am looking for opinions on a 1-4 to 1-6 variable power scope with a good and simple daylight visible reticle and forgiving eye box at 1X.  I'd like the scope to come in less than 20 oz to keep everything light weight.  I will spend up to about $2K but less would be nice.  I am using this rifle for tactical training and home defense.  The rifle will be used at  distances of 200 yards and under.  I believe I want a SFP scope unless someone can convince me otherwise. I am not going with a red dot scope as they are not clear for me unless I wear my prescription glasses.

I am looking pretty hard at the Meopta Mtac 1-4 and the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5 SFP with BTR-1 reticle.  The Vortex Razor is too heavy as are most of the offerings from Burris.  Schmidt & Bender short dots, Leupold Mark 6 are not options due to price and configuration.  I liked the Steiner TX5i but it didn't seem to get good reviews.  I'm not sure I like the reticle on the Swarvoski Z6i.  The Kahles 1-6 is nice but a little too pricey.

I'd appreciate everyone's opinions.

Chris

Edited by cbmax

Thanks for the replies.  With regard to the Leupold VX-6 with firedot, are you talking about the CMR2 reticle?  In your experience, is the reticle visible in bright daylight? Does anyone have experience with the Bushnell and Meopta scopes mentioned above?

2 hours ago, cbmax said:

Thanks for the replies.  With regard to the Leupold VX-6 with firedot, are you talking about the CMR2 reticle?  In your experience, is the reticle visible in bright daylight? Does anyone have experience with the Bushnell and Meopta scopes mentioned above?

https://www.leupold.com/reticles/firedot-bdc/

I have used several of the Vortex 1-4/1-6 scopes-no complaints with any, and I'm a self proclaimed glass snob. Generally I only touch higher end leupold/nightforce/USO but was impressed I've bought the vortex ones now for 3 gun, can't beat them for the price and quality. 

• 2 weeks later...