Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues with the a5

Fireman064

So who's running the Browning A5? I've heard of some issues with cycling in general and less than 1oz reduced recoil slugs having cycling issues. My plan is to send off an A5 to Big Bore but want to get a little more feedback before I make the decision. Any input would be great.

Mine wont reliably run the 7/8 ones from fiocchi. I usually run the 1300 truballs, and recently the 1350 truball penetrators. I took mark passameneck's advice and switched to a hotter slug, because its more accurate in longer barrels.  So far he's been right.

Mine runs the Fiocchi just fine. I just make sure to keep it clean and oiled. I did have some trouble in the beginning, but just left the bolt locked back in the safe for 2 weeks and didn't have any more issues after that. I normally store it with closed bolt and hammer dropped. I did the bolt thing after one of the guys I shoot with suggested it as that is how he got his to run Fiocchi's as well.

• 3 months later...

When I first got my A5, I tested the Fiochhi 7/8 ounce low recoil slugs and it wouldn't cycle them. The Federal Trueball 1350 ft/s Roxymajor recommended to me have been running great. I haven't retested the Fiochhi to see if they will work now that the gun is broken in though. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, jimmymuller said:

I had a Browning A5 since past 3 years and didn’t found any issues till now. It is a nice light weight gun and perfect for the trap shooting. I have killed many pheasants and had a lot of fun.

So, are you going to say what the issues are, or should we guess?

On 4/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, AFguywhoshoots said:

He's too busy resurrecting threads to hit that magic #50 to answer your questions. 

My thought too.