Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 or Gen 4

Dberm118

On 9/20/2016 at 4:55 PM, Honeybooboo said:

Gen 3. I have gen 4's but may sell for gen 3's because they have much better triggers. I'm picky about triggers and gen 3's have lighter and crisper triggers all else being equal. They are more reliable too when you start swapping springs because of the geometry. 

This is gun by gun. I find most of the gen4 guns have a better stock trigger due to the trigger bar and the dot connector. I know the geometry is slightly different. I usually use the gen4 trigger bar and dot connector in many gen3 guns and with my tuning they feel better. Yes the gen4 is more likely to have trigger issues if you use the heavy trigger spring, which myself and many top custom guys do not recommend in either generation. 

The reason I put gen4 trigger bars in my gen3 guns is because of the bump on the side keeps the trigger bar more linear and consistent. Many time in a gen3 the grit you feel is the trigger bar rotating to the side right before the break, the gen 4 trigger bar solve this issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2016 at 3:55 PM, Honeybooboo said:

Gen 3. I have gen 4's but may sell for gen 3's because they have much better triggers. I'm picky about triggers and gen 3's have lighter and crisper triggers all else being equal. They are more reliable too when you start swapping springs because of the geometry. 

This!  I know glock tried to address the trigger on the gen 4 guns by using the dot connector that has a slightly modified angle (+6 degrees) I still tend to find more mush and creep in the gen 4 guns even with the updated dot connectors.  This has been true with all of the guns I have inspected in our department.  Because of this reason, I very much prefer the gen 3 trigger when running all stock parts and springs.

Edited by .45er

On 10/13/2016 at 10:51 AM, .45er said:

This!  I know glock tried to address the trigger on the gen 4 guns by using the dot connector that has a slightly modified angle (+6 degrees) I still tend to find more mush and creep in the gen 4 guns even with the updated dot connectors.  This has been true with all of the guns I have inspected in our department.  Because of this reason, I very much prefer the gen 3 trigger when running all stock parts and springs.

The very nature of a dot connector is what makes it mushier. A standard connector will be the crispest, but in a gen 4 it results in a real heavy trigger. 

I have found more mush and creep with or without the dot connector in all the gen 4 pistols I have worked on as compared to the gen 3.  It just doesn't have the same trigger feel in my opinion which is why I prefer the gen 3.  There are things I really like about the gen 4 (larger magazine catch, backstraps, etc) but difference in trigger feel prevents me from jumping in with both feet on the gen 4.  

Having the backstraps on the gen4 are a nice feature. I where size large gloves and have liked the gen4 grip circumference without a backstrap on the gun. That being said the triggers side by side are better on the gen3. I had a gen3 and gen4 side by side before buying the gen4. The way I look at it, you are going to change the connector and likely many others parts on the trigger. That parts easy, you can't change the gun frame though. Just my 2 cents.   

• 1 month later...

bit the bullet!

I am now waiting patiently to go pick up my gen 4 g34.

I have a Dawson ICE magwell, Dawson red F/O front adjustable target rear sights, magazine base pads, and last a glocktriggers.com vogel trigger on my eye. don't plan on "blinging" it out just want a nice reliable very functional gun for 3gun yet still be able to dip my feet into USPSA or IDPA and some pistol only matches.

bit the bullet!

I am now waiting patiently to go pick up my gen 4 g34.

I have a Dawson ICE magwell, Dawson red F/O front adjustable target rear sights, magazine base pads, and last a glocktriggers.com vogel trigger on my eye. don't plan on "blinging" it out just want a nice reliable very functional gun for 3gun yet still be able to dip my feet into USPSA or IDPA and some pistol only matches.

Awwww, c'mon! A little 'bling' never hurt anyone. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahaha it may have a little! but nothing extravagant looking for flare and functionality. unfortunately I have jumped ship. Glocks have never been comfortable in my hand but I shoot them well surprisingly. I'm excited to jump ship but still plan on building my L10 2011.

hahaha it may have a little! but nothing extravagant looking for flare and functionality. unfortunately I have jumped ship. Glocks have never been comfortable in my hand but I shoot them well surprisingly. I'm excited to jump ship but still plan on building my L10 2011.

All you have to do is have a proper frame reduction/ stipple job done... it'll fit :-)

10 hours ago, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

All you have to do is have a proper frame reduction/ stipple job done... it'll fit :-)

Dre

Now that I've done a few grip jobs 1 SC and 4 stipple jobs, that is the first thing it is getting!

Also another reason I was so willing to jump ship is I'm almost certain I can get it somewhat comfortable in the hand with the shaping and stippling I've done recently.

Dre

Now that I've done a few grip jobs 1 SC and 4 stipple jobs, that is the first thing it is getting!

Also another reason I was so willing to jump ship is I'm almost certain I can get it somewhat comfortable in the hand with the shaping and stippling I've done recently.

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask! I'm always willing to help where I can!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2016 at 9:26 AM, Honeybooboo said:

I just bought a vickers glock and the trigger is much better than my gen 4's. Not sure I'm liking the RTF2 but I won't go back to gen 4's. 

Have you tried the gen 3 trigger bar in your gen 4? Normally that cleans up the pull and takes a little weight out.

21 minutes ago, steven785 said:

Have you tried the gen 3 trigger bar in your gen 4? Normally that cleans up the pull and takes a little weight out.

I have and yea it lightens the pull but there's still more creep because of the dot connector verse a standard connector. With all things being equal, the gen 4 will be about a half pound heavier than a gen 3 because of the tighter geometry. I've tried a standard connector in a gen 4 and that didn't work well either. I use medium backstraps on a gen 4 anyway so there's no point to a gen 4 imo if the trigger will never be as good. I've had several gen 4s and several gen 3s. 

2 minutes ago, Honeybooboo said:

I have and yea it lightens the pull but there's still more creep because of the dot connector verse a standard connector. With all things being equal, the gen 4 will be about a half pound heavier than a gen 3 because of the tighter geometry. I've tried a standard connector in a gen 4 and that didn't work well either. I use medium backstraps on a gen 4 anyway so there's no point to a gen 4 imo if the trigger will never be as good. I've had several gen 4s and several gen 3s. 

And the gen 3's are cheaper so stick with those. For me the gen 4's thinner grip and wider magazine release are ideal for my hands so I have to make the less than ideal trigger work.