Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050: THE Best YouTube Video

I spent a couple months researching the 550, 650, and 1050 prior to finally buying my 1050 which I've had now for just over a week.

I've watched more youtube videos about Dillon presses than I'd care to admit.

The winner: 

In ten minutes, this guy teaches you how to disassemble, lubricate, and reassemble your 1050.

After watching it, you'll feel confident that you can do whatever you need to on your press.

I agree with lowering the toolhead to engage the alignment pins BEFORE TIGHTENING the toolhead bolt.

I believe the producer of the video just wanted to go fast and smooth in the video. I've heard some

first time disassembly requires a real bit of force to loosen the bolt. 

Yeah, I agree with you guys. That's the only flaw in an otherwise very well done video; he didn't lower the handle prior to tightening the head bolt.

@moonman16: Yeah, Dillon either has 300 pound gorillas or nerds with impact wrenches tightening all the fasteners on their presses at the factory. Even the dies themselves come so tight that a few of them required convincing with a rubber mallet to loosen. All of the jam nuts on my factory installed dies look like crap now after loosening them.

The QA guys at Dillon really should talk to the guys tightening the fasteners. It's quite obvious they aren't using torque wrenches.

Edited by Phlier

7 minutes ago, RippinSVT said:

Good video, glad I watched it.  I'm ordering my 1050/Mr. B/Ammobot combo with all the fixins this week and that was a good crash course.

If you are going all out, you might take a look at the Mark 7 vs Ammobot.

8 minutes ago, RippinSVT said:

Good video, glad I watched it.  I'm ordering my 1050/Mr. B/Ammobot combo with all the fixins this week and that was a good crash course.

Clicked once, posted twice

Edited by Mark R
Clicked once, posted twice

I ended up going the less expensive route with the Ammobot. I only load 40 S&W on my 1050 and the Rev 2 Ammobot has proven to be all I need and more. I think you'll like it but I HIGHLY recommend that you run the press by hand for a few thousand and make sure you have all of the kinks worked out. It took me a year and a half to get mine running smoothly enough that I trusted it to automate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 9/8/2016 at 11:13 AM, Phlier said:

Yeah, I agree with you guys. That's the only flaw in an otherwise very well done video; he didn't lower the handle prior to tightening the head bolt.

@moonman16: Yeah, Dillon either has 300 pound gorillas or nerds with impact wrenches tightening all the fasteners on their presses at the factory. Even the dies themselves come so tight that a few of them required convincing with a rubber mallet to loosen. All of the jam nuts on my factory installed dies look like crap now after loosening them.

The QA guys at Dillon really should talk to the guys tightening the fasteners. It's quite obvious they aren't using torque wrenches.

You will probably find that it's not a case that Dillon doesn't use torque wrenches but your expectation of what the actual torque values should be is lower. 7/8-14 steel threads for dies on a aluminum tool head have a general max torque value of about 1400-1500 inch pounds (125 ft. lbs) granted that is not necessarily all needed, but remember the 1050 is a commercial grade machine. I personally torque my dies with a torque wrench to 25 ft. lbs and the tool head on the 1050 to 35 ft.lbs using the appropriate socket or adapter. I have never had a die or tool head come loose once all dies a centered and torqued and it takes moderate effort to remove them with a "long" handled box wrench. I use inspectors torque lacquer so that I have an instant visual reference should one actually back out.

Dillon1050_9mm_zpskmtlxxn9.jpg

On 9/12/2016 at 10:16 AM, Boxerglocker said:

You will probably find that it's not a case that Dillon doesn't use torque wrenches but your expectation of what the actual torque values should be is lower. 7/8-14 steel threads for dies on a aluminum tool head have a general max torque value of about 1400-1500 inch pounds (125 ft. lbs) granted that is not necessarily all needed, but remember the 1050 is a commercial grade machine. I personally torque my dies with a torque wrench to 25 ft. lbs and the tool head on the 1050 to 35 ft.lbs using the appropriate socket or adapter. I have never had a die or tool head come loose once all dies a centered and torqued and it takes moderate effort to remove them with a "long" handled box wrench. I use inspectors torque lacquer so that I have an instant visual reference should one actually back out.

Dillon1050_9mm_zpskmtlxxn9.jpg

Lacquer.. great idea. I'll have to try that.

The toolhead bolt wasn't the fastener I was complaining about, really. I thought it was adequately torqued down. But there's just no reason to torque dies into the tool head to a level that requires a rubber mallet to get them free. IMO, in general, they really overdo the torque on stuff that really doesn't need to be tightened so much.

Edit: forgot to mention... several of the dies that came pre-installed on the toolhead were so tight that they left marks in the toolhead where they had actually scored deep scratches into the toolhead itself. Now *that* is excessively tight.

Edited by Phlier

8 hours ago, seadog_99 said:

I ended up going the less expensive route with the Ammobot. I only load 40 S&W on my 1050 and the Rev 2 Ammobot has proven to be all I need and more. I think you'll like it but I HIGHLY recommend that you run the press by hand for a few thousand and make sure you have all of the kinks worked out. It took me a year and a half to get mine running smoothly enough that I trusted it to automate.

That's my plan.  I'm going to get every subsystem running smoothly first and separately, then I'll add the Ammobot.  Hoping I can get her dialed in at around 500-1000 rounds, as I've got about 12,000 to load for the spring season and I don't feel like pulling that handle 12,000 times in a couple months.  What upgrades, sensors, etc would you recommend?  Any little stuff I should buy in triplicate?  One of the reasons I'm buying the Ammobot is because on my ~$4000 budget I can get every single aftermarket doodad available for the 1050.

I recommend the bearing kit and guide rod upgrade from Level 10 innovations. I also installed the swaging Rod from Fast & Friendly Brass that seemed to help my priming issues. Plus you'll have a spare in the factory swaging Rod in case you break the F&FB one in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, seadog_99 said:

I recommend the bearing kit and guide rod upgrade from Level 10 innovations. I also installed the swaging Rod from Fast & Friendly Brass that seemed to help my priming issues. Plus you'll have a spare in the factory swaging Rod in case you break the F&FB one in a pinch.

okay cool.  I was planning on the guide rod and bearing kit already.  Is the pocket check sensor a waste of time? I was gonna add that but won't waste the $160 if don't have to. How about the powder check alarm?  That one seemed like a no-brainer.

6 hours ago, RippinSVT said:

okay cool.  I was planning on the guide rod and bearing kit already.  Is the pocket check sensor a waste of time? I was gonna add that but won't waste the $160 if don't have to. How about the powder check alarm?  That one seemed like a no-brainer.

If you run a powder check die, it will be immediately after the powder drop, then if you run a bullet feeder in the next spot, that only leaves you one left for bullet seat and crimp. I guess it would work if you have a combo seat/crimp die.

I don't run a powder check, but I either sit low with a mechanics mirror on the station out of the powder drop (visual powder check) or I sit high on a stool and can see down in the case before a bullet is place on top.

20 hours ago, seadog_99 said:

I was going to suggest this myself. I would be especially concerned tuning the sizing decapping and primer shuttle/seating stationse. Even running manually, If a sucked up primer gets past station one it's a pain in the butt. Only now after my second season with it would I even contemplate running a AmmoBot or other drive unit. Then again, I would personally get a Mr. Bullet feeder first, but my budget and current requirements don't justify it as RippinSVT's does.

I don't have any other sensors but I suppose if you didn't have too many crimped pockets you could run the primer sensor and just process rejected cases separately. This is certainly one of the MkVII advantages, swaging and sensing.

I'd mount up the MBF right off of the bat. It was a straightforward setup and let's you watch everything else going on instead of looking at the bullet tray for the next projectile.

12 hours ago, Mark R said:

If you run a powder check die, it will be immediately after the powder drop, then if you run a bullet feeder in the next spot, that only leaves you one left for bullet seat and crimp. I guess it would work if you have a combo seat/crimp die.

I don't run a powder check, but I either sit low with a mechanics mirror on the station out of the powder drop (visual powder check) or I sit high on a stool and can see down in the case before a bullet is place on top.

Excellent, good to know.  I think I'll pass on it then.  Seating and crimping in two steps is a must for me. Plus, I don't think I've ever missed a charge on the 6-7 progressives I've used, that wasn't my own fault.

9 hours ago, seadog_99 said:

I don't have any other sensors but I suppose if you didn't have too many crimped pockets you could run the primer sensor and just process rejected cases separately. This is certainly one of the MkVII advantages, swaging and sensing.

I'd mount up the MBF right off of the bat. It was a straightforward setup and let's you watch everything else going on instead of looking at the bullet tray for the next projectile.

Great thanks. I think I'll run some processed/roll-sized brass first during the initial automation runs to avoid issues.  I was thinking about just setting it up to process 10-15k pieces of 9mm to start, then going back and loading it.  Is that dumb?  I had a pretty well known shooter, who had several auto 1050's, tell me that he'd never run unprocessed brass through an automated setup.