Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LH Versa Max question

lgh

Hey guys, brand spanking new to 3 gunning.  I've shot trap for 2 years now with a cheap O/U, hunt ducks and pheasants with a Browning Gold, and grew up hunting 20 years ago with my grandpa's 1100 28" for both birds and slugs for deer (until I bought a slug barrel 5 years ago, then switched to a .270 3 years ago) so I'm used to bead sights (my 1100 doesn't even have a vent rib, just a bead on a block at the end of the barrel).  I just picked up an M3K, and have spent the last couple days going over the last 23 pages of this thread (I started at page 100, where the M3K starts popping up...roughly a year and a half ago).  I've also spent a couple hours today reading the first 6-8 pages of threads that pop up when you search "M3K".  I still have a couple questions, forgive me if the answers reside somewhere in the last 3 years/100 pages of this thread.  I'm planning on leaving the port the way it is until I get the hang of loading.  I'm also planning on taking out the extractor and filing/sanding it down.  Probably going to get the TTI hammer and spring, too.  Anyway, here are my questions:

1.  +5 or +6 extension?  I like the physical size of the +5.  I don't want to go excessively long since I'm just getting used to the sport.  However having an odd number of rounds in the tube seems inefficient to me.  I feel like loading doubles (quads eventually) is what I should be practicing/striving for.  Having a 9 round mag seems like I'd only end up loading 8 when I reload.  Thus the +6.  I'm not crazy about how far it sticks past the barrel (based on pictures, and I know many guys run 12-16 round tubes but I'm not interested in that right now) but could live with the +6 if it will actually give me a real advantage over the +5.  It seems like just having an even number would be worth it.  Am I on the right track here?  Also, I'm not touching the port until I figure how to load the thing consistently.  Probably going to do the trigger guard though.

2.  It seems like now that Nordic has a Stoeger specific nut, there really is no difference in function between a tube directly from Nordic vs getting it from MOA?  I read posts about needing to cut the mag tube down with the Nordic nut...is that no longer the case since they now have a Stoeger specific nut?  Initially I was going to order from Nordic since they are "local" to me (I'm in WI, but most of the competitions closest to me are in the Twin Cities MN metro area).  However after reading all of Tom's (and well as Pat's) info and incredible willingness to help I'm probably going with MOA regardless.  Same goes for the follower.

3.  I know the mag tube is polished even on the Gen 1, and then coated black again.  This means I don't have to polish further/more?  Does this mean I don't need to break it in with heavy rounds first, or do you guys still recommend a break in period?  If so, how many rounds are enough to get things "loosened up"?

4.  When putting it together I noticed the barrel didn't seat into the receiver all the way on it's own.  Without having the gun in front of me right now, I'm guessing it took 5-8 revolutions of the barrel nut fully seat the barrel into the receiver.  I haven't cycled any rounds through it, but the bolt moved freely and smoothly with the barrel fully seated.  Is this normal?  I've never had this on any other gun.

5.  The safety is very stiff.  I know that MOA's safety helps this, but I've also read you can cut one or two coils off the spring?

6.  I saw Tom say it's a good idea to run this thing very wet until it's well broken in, maybe even after.  There is a TON of lube on it from the factory...I'm assuming this is okay to leave on, or do I need to strip it off and start with regular gun oil like Hoppe's?

Sorry for all the questions in one post, but it seemed more efficient than a bunch of separate posts and follow up questions.

If you've taken the time to read all this, THANK YOU!  I appreciate the help, I'm super excited to try this sport out!

- Korey

Edited by koreytm

• 2 weeks later...

Can you put a left hand safety on a right hand Versamax?  My wife jist ordered a regular model, she's a hybrid shooter--long guns left, pistol right, and does a strong/support hand reload.  Her only struggle with the shotgun is the safety.

9 hours ago, Dannybot said:

Can you put a left hand safety on a right hand Versamax?  My wife jist ordered a regular model, she's a hybrid shooter--long guns left, pistol right, and does a strong/support hand reload.  Her only struggle with the shotgun is the safety.