Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Open "major"

IHMSA15151

So I have finally received my DVC open gun and have been playing with loads for major power factor. I get a small amount of deviation in the velocity and was wondering how much over the minimum you guys run. I'm using a PF calculator I found online and I'm at + .6% at my slowest FPS. I'm hoping this should be enough. I don't want to load it faster if it's not necessary but don't want to end up having to score "minor" because I'm a hair under. 

Just an observation---darned near every 9 major gun I've messed with has a "sweet spot" where the gun runs flat, soft, and the dot tracks well.

By far the majority hit that spot around 170-173 PF.   Kind of weird--different guns, comps, powders, springs--170-173.

14 minutes ago, IHMSA15151 said:

how much over  minimum you guys run.

I run 20 over my chrono, an like to see ALL 20 at least at the PF.

I used to run about 168 PF but got a big scare at a major when the

first two shots were under 160 - saved by the third shot, but it was

a little scary for a minute there.

Better a little too high than a little too little :)

There are already good threads on this.  There are even statistical methods to determine what you need to guarantee 165 pf by using your load's standard deviation.  However, given that different guns run better at different pf's, match chronos may run slow, the match may be at lower elevations, and everything is still sensitive to temperature and humidity it's safe to be like everyone else and make at least 170 pf on average at home.  Check regularly and be sure to verify on cold mornings and hot afternoons.

Edited by theWacoKid

1 hour ago, open17 said:

Just an observation---darned near every 9 major gun I've messed with has a "sweet spot" where the gun runs flat, soft, and the dot tracks well.

By far the majority hit that spot around 170-173 PF.   Kind of weird--different guns, comps, powders, springs--170-173.

Good to know, I'm right around 165-167 and it did seem to jump a lot. I'll have to see if it will go a bit faster and flatten out. I do have some other combinations to try also. Fun stuff this open major!!