Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Action Drawings

Does anybody know where I can patent type drawings for the following actions, preferably with measurements? Remington 700, Remington 710, CZ 700, Winchester M70, Savage 10 and AI AW/AWP series, short and long action in all of them. Thanks guys.

the patent office will not have dimensions on the drawings, thay will only have description of operation and explanation on features.

your best bet is to get lucky and find something on the web where someone has reverse engineer one, but then use info with caution.

the patent office will not have dimensions on the drawings, thay will only have description of operation and explanation on features.

your best bet is to get lucky and find something on the web where someone has reverse engineer one, but then use info with caution.

To continue, I bet the actions aren't patented as-such to begin with-- they're 'knockoffs' of Mauser's patents to a large extent. The changes will probably be patented, but the USPTO only has patent images online going back to 1976 or so, which isn't far enough back anyway-- you'd have to go to a patent deposit library and pull microfilms to get them.

Some of the gunsmithing books may have drawings-- Kuhnhausen is good for that.

Norris,

First, Patent drawings rarely have dimensions, much less tolerances or heat treat specifications, on them.

I worked at Ilion in R&D during 1980 and 1981, and they treated all of the part and assembly drawings as closely held proprietary information. The engineers could get copies, but we were all educated on how the information on them would be very valuable to a competitive company. Back then, recievers, bolts, firing pins, trigger assemblies (but not many of the parts), etc were all made in house in part to avoid giving that information to competitors.

Most product engineering outfits (I have worked in a few) try to do business that way, no matter what the product is. Yeah, we had confidentiality agreements with our vendors, but the big deal was that one slip and your competition knows how you make the parts.

Billski1

I am in agreement with Billski in that what you are looking for is the gun equivalent to master plates for printing paper money. I don't think you are likely to find them freely available.

--

Regards

Government manuals and part prints on non-classified objects are not patented or trademarked or copyrighted, and are available to the public by doctrine.

I would start with the US government websites. After all, we paid for them. Search on government websites, and if you find it, post the site back here.

Perhaps someone on this site or AR15.com's build it yourself forum (hint) has the site already. Search that site too and see what pops.

Back in the 1980's, the way it was supplied was by aperture card - yeah a black and white 35mm slide in a pocket on an IBM card. I imagine now it would be a .pdf file...

Good luck.

Billski