Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 shadow doesn't catch in DA when held vertically?

Maxamundo

What is going on here? 

Internals include the original sear and trigger bar, original sear spring and trigger bar lifter spring, cajun type 1 disconnector, original CZ race hammer, CZ 85 trigger, cajun reduced power TRS. Gun has over 15,000 on the original parts listed above. This did not start happening after a part change, but just recently after no parts had been altered for a while.

Edited by Maxamundo

Make sure the screw that holds the trigger bar lifter spring in place is tight. 

Secondly, take the grips off and look at the bottom of the trigger bar. You can see the groves in the bottom of the trigger bar for the trigger bar spring to sit in. 

a loose mag catch/trigger bar spring screw can be a big culprit, make sure it's tight. I've never had to rebend the trigger bar spring so that it put more pressure up, unless that screw was loose and the spring got mangled.

Most of the time you see issues when someone is cleaning and they run a rag through the magwell and catch the spring.

otherwise never have had issue on any of my personal guns.

come out of the tracks yes, as mentioned above, due to someone snagging them with a cloth or brush when cleaning, but again, never seen them bent, I know David sees a lot more guns than I do though, he probably does more in a year than I've worked on totally. I've seen one factory mangled one, brand new in the box, but that's it.

On 8/19/2016 at 10:52 PM, Just4FunLP said:

Good post.  Does it make sense to replace this spring at regular intervals?  I don't believe in running to failure. 

My practice gun has roughly 35,000 rounds through it, plus daily dry fire and I recently had to readjust the trigger bar spring. The spring was weak enough that the disconnector would slip off the trigger bar occasionally in DA before the hammer was all the way back. If I pulled the trigger back 90% and then let pressure off the disconnector would slip off the trigger bar and the hammer would fall. It was an easy adjustment to fix.

I'll probably replace it the next time I detail strip that gun. The top of the spring where it rubs on the trigger bar was visibly worn. 

On this gun I have run things to the point of failure, I like to know where that point is so I can keep my match guns well within that margin. It's kinda surprising how well most things hold up. I've gone through 4 trigger return springs, one slide stop, and 4 recoil springs.

Edited by bthoefer