Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prematurely pasted target

RussellM

I have a question on a prematurely pasted target situation that recently occured at a match. I would like to see if the correct call was made for this situation. Here is what happened.

Shooter completes the course of fire. RO's start scoring the stage with shooter following them, as they turn a corner for a target in a port (one of the first targets shot) the target is in the process of being pasted (one hole) the RO says he saw the target and scores it so there is no need for a reshoot. Is this the correct call under the current rules?

Yes. If the RO can determine score then it's legit.

1. 9.1.3  Prematurely Patched Targets - If a target is prematurely patched or taped, which prevents a Range Official from determining the actual score, the Range Officer must order the competitor to reshoot the course of fire. 

In this case I believe the RO would have needed to determine an accurate score on that target while also watching the shooter run the course of fire, although he was not running the timer. This was a level 4 match as well.

Edited by RussellM

40 minutes ago, RussellM said:

In this case I believe the RO would have needed to determine an accurate score on that target while also watching the shooter run the course of fire, although he was not running the timer. This was a level 4 match as well.

To me it matters not which RO saw it or what level the match is. If  match staff RO on the stage can determine the score then the rules support it being legit.

4 hours ago, High Lord Gomer said:

I agree with Sarge (please don't quote me on that) but it would get interesting if the shooter challenged the scoring of that target.

I think if they challenged it, it would then require a reshoot once moved farther up the chain.

Love ya' buddy! :)

On 8/14/2016 at 4:06 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Why?

9.1.3 Prematurely Patched Targets - If a target is prematurely patched or taped, which prevents a Range Official from determining the actual score, the Range Officer must order the competitor to reshoot the course of fire. However, if following the scoring of a target by any assigned Range Officer, the target is patched or taped by anyone other than a Range Officer, the score will stand as called regardless of the competitor's opportunity to see the target in question and the competitor will not be permitted to appeal the score as called. Reviewing previous score sheets is prohibited; targets must be scored as is, using the actual target as the basis for the scoring call.

9.6.4 Any challenge to a score or penalty must be appealed to the Range Officer by the competitor (or his delegate) prior to the subject target being painted, patched, or reset, failing which such challenges will not be accepted.

9.6.5 In the event that the Range Officer upholds the original score or penalty and the competitor is dissatisfied, he may appeal to the Chief Range Officer and then to the Range Master for a ruling.

If the competitor challenges it, the CRO (and/or eventually the RM) get called to evaluate the target.  Since it has now been prematurely pasted before *that* range officer can determine the actual score, it falls under 9.1.3.

BBBBUUUUUTTTT......if this was an IPSC match I have no clue as I was referencing USPSA rules.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

The only issue I could see is if the target was scored prior to the stage being finished.  Everyone does that all the time, but if the call is close and it is pasted before the shooter or his representative has a chance to see the target I can see a reshoot being ordered.  This is why it is important to leave any targets with a MISS or a possible DOUBLE alone until the shooter has a chance to see it themselves.