Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am i being paranoid? Split mouth... Split case...

Dberm118

After going through and looking at the bulk ammo purchased from CTD seems there is quite a bit of a pressure issue as well I had some Walmart bought American eagle not the bulk stuff and it was stamped perfecta 223 REM and the primers and cases looked completely normal. The bulk stuff from CTD definitely looks like reload and has some very high pressure as the primer was pushed flat and almost blends with the bottom of the cases.

Will post pics of Fiocchi ammo tomorrow!

If head space is bad the primer is most likely pushing way out of the case before the case is thrust back against the bolt, causing what appear to be pressure signs in the primer. You wouldn't be likely to get incipient case head separation signs after a single firing even of a hot load.

Post a link to the ammo you bought. AE is good quality and shouldn't be the root cause. I'd say it's more likely explained by a head spacing issue.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:11 AM, peterthefish said:

If head space is bad the primer is most likely pushing way out of the case before the case is thrust back against the bolt, causing what appear to be pressure signs in the primer. You wouldn't be likely to get incipient case head separation signs after a single firing even of a hot load.

Post a link to the ammo you bought. AE is good quality and shouldn't be the root cause. I'd say it's more likely explained by a head spacing issue.

Peter this wasn't the black boxes of AE you get from walmart or other gun shops. It was a bulk box from Cheaper than Dirt. Seeing as I ditched the cardboard box and the remaining is in an ammobox I don't remember the brand however I believe it was AE. Difference being the 5.56 AE I have purchased from wal mart ( 20rd black AE box) runs flawless never had an issue. it seems the issue has come from the remaining ammo I have from the CTD purchase. good thing it's almost gone.

The primer however is not pushing out of the case, but merely blending flush with the case and has no radius what so ever its become very flush and almost one with the bottom of the case.

What Peter is trying to say is with excessive head space when the primer is struck the First thing that happens due to excessive head space is the primer blows rearward toward the bolt face out of the brass. Then as pressure rises the brass starts expanding and stretching rearward to take up the excessive head space (this is why you get incipient case head separation)it essentially smashes the primer back into the pocket making it very flat like you see.

Here is a gif I shamelessly stole illustrating what happens in a rimmed 303 enfield during firing. The concepts are the same the difference is how head space is measure between rimmed, rimless, belted, etc.

2u5z31t.jpg

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Peter this wasn't the black boxes of AE you get from walmart or other gun shops. It was a bulk box from Cheaper than Dirt. Seeing as I ditched the cardboard box and the remaining is in an ammobox I don't remember the brand however I believe it was AE. Difference being the 5.56 AE I have purchased from wal mart ( 20rd black AE box) runs flawless never had an issue. it seems the issue has come from the remaining ammo I have from the CTD purchase. good thing it's almost gone.

The primer however is not pushing out of the case, but merely blending flush with the case and has no radius what so ever its become very flush and almost one with the bottom of the case.

Cheaper than dirt isn't exactly some dinky fly by night outfit passing off reloads as first quality ammo. You don't need to remember the brand - post a link the the product - it will be available in your order history.

The last poster got it right re: primer signs.

It could be a little of both, Hot ammo and headspace bordering on the excessive side. If it were my rifle I would be looking to verify exactly what my headspace is so as to be sure thats not a contributing factor. Brownells sells the gauges, and their not expensive or difficult to use.

Hey all,

Just checking back in with how my morning at the range went with what I thought was an issue. After 50 rounds fired I didn't see any signs of over/under pressure and only had a few cases with slight nicks on them which could have been cases hitting rocks/ground when ejecting. However did not see any signs of scribing as I previously did where the case at last weeks match split in two. I'm thinking it was cheap bulk reloaded ammo....

Thanks for the feedback.

fiocchi 1.jpg

fiocchi 2.jpg

Edited by Dberm118