Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambi safety retaining pin

ATLDave

I'm having a heck of a time getting the roll pin holding the right-side (left-handed) safety off my limited. I think I'm going to have to drill it out to ever be able to disassemble the frame. Anybody have the measurements of the roll pin so I can get some replacements? Thanks.

I have a set of harbor frieght ones also and thry did not work. Had to get a little higher quality. The smalles harbor freight is the same "size" but its not made to thr same tolerance that the grace pins are or something. The same size grace pin works where the HF wont. Results may vary

I have a set of harbor frieght ones also and thry did not work. Had to get a little higher quality. The smalles harbor freight is the same "size" but its not made to thr same tolerance that the grace pins are or something. The same size grace pin works where the HF wont. Results may vary

It will work. I just chucked mine up in my drill and used some sand paper to make it a tad smaller. I would just use my lathe now but that was what I had at the time and it worked just fine.

After about 35-40 disassembly cycles, the pin can be just pushed out and back. But initially, it was so tight the HF pin punch bent while tapping. Second tap, iirc. Their tools don't always get good heat treat to the metals.

Buy a better quality tool.

Order a set of grace roll pin punches on amazon... Smalles one works for the safety pin and a few other things.

I have roll pin punches. The problem is that I have a roll pin that is not moveable with the proper-sized punch. I just need to get the replacement pins, and drill out the old one.

Oftentimes pins like that one (or the solid extractor pins on M&Ps before they switched to roll pins) need one extremely hard blow to shock them loose before the head of the pin begins to mushroom inside the hole and lock itself in place. We aren't used to really, really swinging a hammer at firearms, but sometimes it doesn't hurt.

Order a set of grace roll pin punches on amazon... Smalles one works for the safety pin and a few other things.

I have roll pin punches. The problem is that I have a roll pin that is not moveable with the proper-sized punch. I just need to get the replacement pins, and drill out the old one.

I have a set of harbor freight punches that wouldnt fit. The grace punch fit perfect. Just saying, sometimes punches are not their advertised size. Try to sand yours down a bit and see if it doesnt work better. Harbor freight is fine for some things, but like precisely sized equipment like punches or allen keys can be hit or miss in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

ryridesmotox, I have to hand it to you.  A set of Grace punches was able to move the pin... upon removal, I learned that it had been sheared in two!  Now, I don't know whether that broken status is what made it so hard to move, or if I broke it trying to move it, but I've got replacements on the way (and half a roll pin holding down the fort in the meantime!).   

6 hours ago, ATLDave said:

ryridesmotox, I have to hand it to you.  A set of Grace punches was able to move the pin... upon removal, I learned that it had been sheared in two!  Now, I don't know whether that broken status is what made it so hard to move, or if I broke it trying to move it, but I've got replacements on the way (and half a roll pin holding down the fort in the meantime!).   

Cool glad you got it figured out dude. I doubt the punch broke it directly, but perhaps when you were hitting it, the safety rotated enough to break the roll pin??? I tried with the harbor freight crap and then went and got some good quality punches. I like harbor freight for some things, but I find it to be rather hit or miss.

Where did you order more pins from? I am putting together an oops kit for the Tanfo and some of the smaller parts are eluding me... Especially when they fall on the ground. I prefer to have extras as anyone who has had a gun apart can attest... Springs and pins seriously can fly into other dimensions of spacetime

Edited by ryridesmotox