Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leading with the eyes

Guest Steve A

I though I was already doing it, but I discovered yesterday morning what it really means, and it will take me to the next plateau!

I noticed AFTER, that what I had been doing was following the front sight around from target to target.

So yesterday, I was running the classifier "front sight" as a drill for transitions and it happened. I channeled all my awareness to moving the gun to the next target wth my eyes ALREADY THERE WAITING FOR IT.

This worked BEAUTIFULLY. my times dropped and more importantly the hits improved.

I ran the forward facing portion at 2.65, looked at the targets and grinned like a fool. All A's.

I wish I could explain in greater detail how this happened, but this is the best I could do:

Call the shot, look at next target, find the gun on target. Repeat.

Do not follow the sight from target to target. You'll use the wrong focus and hits and time will both suffer.

Thanks Brian. I had read this in the book and tought I understood it before. Now I do.

SA

Some moderator you are! :)

Seriously, if you had told me that was the problem, I probably would not not have had the awakening then.

This feeling and seeing cannot be explained, it must be experienced.

Again, I though I WAS ALREADY doing it. It took relaxing and watching to really experience it.

Cool.

SA

Steve,

In our practice session, when we shot the Glock M (with the 3 steel in the middle)...

When we decided to slow down and shoot it clean...I experienced the reverse.  I was having trouble using a type 4 focus...following my front sight from target to target.  My eyes just naturally went to the next target.  I really hadn't experienced noticed that before.

The trick here (one of them) is to not loss your follow-thru.  

Oh...this would explain some of the challenge you have with black steel too.  (in various forms of shadows and blending into the background)

Technically, if locating a target is involved, it's Type 3. It's not possible to consistently stop your gun precisely on a spot if you don't at least "glance" to it. Type 4 is for shooting multiple shots at the same target.

be

OK, I'll be the one to admit that I'm out of step with everyone else. I use type 4 focus exclusively, but admittedly I only shoot (at present) paper targets 2'6" centre to centre at from 10 yards out to 50 yards, and Bowling Pins. I have tried locating targets with my eyes and having the pistol follow but it didn't seem to work for me (try harder I hear you say??)

Before, when running around in a competition I could never remember ever seeing my sights (wonder what type of focus this is :)), though in practice sessions, I can.  Recently, I've started telling myself to LOOK at the target then SEE the sights before breaking the shot. I guess it's working because in the last competition I joined I actually had targets bearing 2 A-shots (used to be alpha-charlie or charlie-delta and the occassional "sir, verify target -- alpha-MISS"...aack.)  But then here comes those contact distance targets begging to be hosed and everything starts falling apart.

Just a few weeks ago I was doing some dryfire drills with some IPSC targets stapled to my hotel wall (oh yeah), and tried it both ways (leading with the eyes, and tracking the front sight to the next target).  What I found was I could keep my eyes ahead of the gun, and when I "saw" front sight coming in from the left (in this example) I was able to stop it dead in the a-zone.  But, if I didn't lead with my eyes and kept them with the gun, I always overran the a-zone into the c/d area, or stopped short of the a-zone.

Just what I noticed.