Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to know what to practice/work on?

jbultman

This is going to sound stupid, but I've been shooting USPSA for just under 2 years. I've been placing at the top of locals and top 1/3 of majors. But, when it comes time to practice I just do whatever I feel like with no organization or structure... How do I know what I need to practice or what to work on?

Thanks,

J

For structured practice check out one of the books from Steve Anderson, Mike Seeklander or Ben Stoeger. It really helped me having a structured program to follow instead of randomly shooting drills.

It seems like movement and target transitions is what slows most of us down, I'd pay special attention to drills for those.

Check your match results against better shooters for points and time. If you have a camera, set one up on a tripod with a good view of the whole COF and make sure you can see your feet in the image. If time is your weakness, watch that video and compare it to other faster shooters on your squad (if it's cool with them), and see where you are losing the time. If nobody else offers a good comparison, check out one of the video breakdowns by Rob Cook on youtube. He does some editing and explanations on some top shooters doing their thing.

If it's shooting accuracy that's killing you, get some slow fire range practice in. If its transitions and follow ups, it is probably an eye-speed issue. Dry fire (doing transitions, Burkett reloads, and draws) to get used to looking at what you need to look at. When you've solved your weakness, repeat.

1. have a set program of standards you can do when you don't feel like thinking. draws, reloads, transitions. Maybe find standards/drills/classifiers that you have the stuff to set up and run them. things like 4 aces, bill drill, el pres and so on. that way when you're not thinking you have something that is comprehensive and covers a lot of the basics. and of course, write down all your data! engaging in record keeping will help in the consistency of your practice.

2. what do you hate to do? what did you make a mistake(s) on in your last match? put in more work on your weaknesses than your strengths.

3. be honestly self-aware. critically interpret the data from your matches.you can not fool yourself here and expect true benefits.

4. use a shot timer and know how to use it, to get the appropriate splits and transitions for whatever you're tracking. do NOT set the random timer to one you can "game".

In my opinion, ultimately everything needs to be addressed somewhat frequently. Weaknesses need to be made less weak, and strengths should be bolstered or at least maintained.

There are several dry fire books out there that can give you some direction. I think those are a great place to start. As for myself, if I had to put a percentage to it, I spend 40% of my time on things I'm good at and 60% of my time on things I'm not good at. I decide what I'm going to practice based on how my matches and practice have been going. The more you do this stuff the better you'll get at knowing where you are and where you should be going.