Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 9mm slide lock back or not for 3-gun

revvedup

I've found on my STI Edge pistols, ones a .40 and the other is a 9mm, they both tended to lock the slide back before the last round entered the chamber. I modified both pistols not to lock back on the last round. Most stages have places to reload between targets on the clock w/o costing you any time.

None of mine lock back. For one I don't like loading a 2011 to a locked back slide as its too easy to over insert the mag and snap an ejector. Other reason is the only followers that really consistently lock back well are the factory Sti and you loose capacity. The minimalist followers can be set that way and do work but don't always stay that way when springs wear, get bent a little etc.

Be very careful doing a slide lock reload with a 2011. In the heat of the moment it is very easy to over insert and snap ejectors or at the very least ruin the stage/ match.. I never set mine to do slide lock but I only shoot USPSA and 3 gun, IDPA I think requires it to slide lock.

I have ground down my slide stop to prevent locking back with any type of mags. As others have said, the lower profile followers can cause premature slide lock. I want the max amount of rounds, I don't care about having my gun lock back when empty.

Slide lock reloads on 2011 pistols are a bad idea.

Standing reloads are a bad idea

Shooting to slide lock is a bad idea.

If you absolutely have to have slide lock on a 2011, do it with the short 126 mags and floorplates that won't allow over-insertion.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Dawson makes a magazine latch that prevents over-insertion.

Posi-Lock. I haven't had an issue when using it vs the stock STI part.

My 40 is set to not lock back, bit my 9mm is set to lock back.