Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti eagle 9mm 5" extraction issues

k1llapanda

Hey guys, back with more problems. This time on my sti eagle 9mm 5".

I got the gun used from a guy here in az. Off backpage and innovative longer have his number. But the only issue it had when I got it was it needed a new sear spring.

Gun ran fine after that was replaced.

Let a buddy borrow it for a few 3 gun and pistol matches and the extractor starts taking a dump. Replaced the extractor with a spare Ed brown I had laying around (new) and had it fitted at a reputable shop local to me. Shot 200 Rds at the range and no FTE. Ran perfect. Took it to soco3gun and it ran great first day.

Day 2, it was a paperweight. Out of maybe 60 Rds shot through her, prob had 13 FTE.

So finally the issue. It will shoot the round that is initially chambered.but will not extract that round out of barrel. Slide goes back, returns forward, and the next round gets stuck on feed ramp due to the barrel being plagued by previous spent case.

If I load a mag and manually rack slide (mbx mags) every round extracts normal. If I chamber one and drop mag and rack it it extracts and drops round.

I use a 9lb recoil spring, my loads are 1.115 oal, berry 124 gn fn plated, cci 500 pistol primers. I believe it is all stick besides that. I have heard try a diff spring. Heavier. So I ordered a couple and waiting for then to get here. Just figure I would try to get ahead of the issue. Thanks again.

Jon

Its a extractor issue, unless the barrel has been replaced and the extractor cutout/relief on the barrel was not done correctly.

I replaced a STI barrel for a KART and the KART had a smaller relief that was not letting the extractor clear.

Hand cycle some dummies and watch what happens.

First check the extractor for carbon build up in the notch. Take a wire brush and remove if necessary. If no carbon build up then take a dummy round with the slide off and slide it under the extractor, if it drags just a tad as you slide it up from the underside and it will hold the round to the breechface then the tension should be correct. If it won't hold the round to the breechface then you will need to add more tension until it does.

To add tension, remove the firing pin stop, then remove the extractor, notice how it is bent, then bend it slightly more until it passes the test.

Edited by MrPostman

Aftec is a solution for a non existing problem .

A proper tuned normal extracter is more reliable , seen more problems created by aftecs then solved .

Edited by Tino2212

Aftec is an outstanding product. It's 100% reliable if set up properly and doesn't wear out like a standard extractor. Set up isn't difficult, but apparently it's beyond the ability or attention span of some folks.

Aftec is a solution for a non existing problem .

A proper tuned normal extracter is more reliable , seen more problems created by aftecs then solved .

only time i have ever seen a problem with an aftec is when they are installed with only 1 spring.

Aftec is an outstanding product. It's 100% reliable if set up properly and doesn't wear out like a standard extractor. Set up isn't difficult, but apparently it's beyond the ability or attention span of some folks.

This ^^^^^^

Yep Aftec is great, of course you could buy 3 regular extractors and still have some change left over for the cost of one. Springs are easily lost so make sure you buy plenty of extras.

Oh I almost forgot, if you do any relieving on the Aftec you void the warranty. You can relieve to your hearts content on a standard extractor.

Edited by MrPostman