Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading: Where to start?

Hi,
About a year ago, I inherited reloading gear from my Grand-Father. Included with his gear is the SPEER Reloading Manual Number 10. I want to get started in reloading. Is there a better or more up to date book I should get? I intend to start with loading target loads for a 243 and 280. Which would be easiest to start with or does it matter? Are there any good videos or tutorials out there?

Thank-You

Welcome to the forum Danny,

First, all the powder manufacturers have load data online now, so that should be plenty to supplement the book you have. If you're reasonably mechanically inclined, reading a book and watching a few videos could be enough to get you going, but a mentor makes the process much quicker and more enjoyable so I suggest you ask around and make friends with a local rifle reloader (rifle is more involved than pistol). You could simply ask to watch them load on their setup, or they might give you a lesson on yours, but just remember to bring some value to the exchange, their knowledge and instruction is valuable; the best trade is your labor, or reloading components. Good luck :)

There is a ton of good online advice as well. If you are a member of a gun club you can probably find someone that would happily help you get set up and started. I have helped out several new reloaders it is fun to watch someone learn how to make their own ammo.