Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for w231 load soft as N320 load

RickT

My wife is currently shooting 3.6gr of N320 behind 115 gr Acme. This is very soft shooting in our 9mm 1911s. I shoot 3.8gr since it's a bit cleaner.

While I'm not nearly out of N320 I also have 16 lbs. of W231 that I'd like to use up at about 5K rounds/month. Any suggestions as to starting load using Acme? I assume either 115gr or 124gr.

Thanks,

Rick

If you want a "soft load", I'd think of the 147 grain bullets, iff you're worried about a PF.

If you're NOT worried about PF, try around 3 gr WW231 with the 115 gr bullet - you

might have to play with the amount of powder to make the gun function.

very light loads of 231 are going to be dirty. For a light load with no PF you want a real fast burning powder. N310, Nitro 100, E3, Ramshot Competition, Clays. you can get down to 105-116 PF depending what spring you have in the gun.

No PF here. And even N320 at these soft loads is pretty dirty. I'm reluctant to crack one of the large W231 jugs if I can't get as soft a load as my wife is currently shooting, but what I might do is stick with her N320 load and I'll just switch to the 231. I can buy a second powder measure and set it up for the W231.