Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zeroing offset sights

xIRISEIx

I was just wondering at what distance should I zero my offset sights? I am currently running Dueck defense RTS on Colt CRP 18. I would also like to know the proper method for zeroing these types of irons. Thanks.

I zeroed mine at 25 yards. I generally use the large aperture for fast close up shooting. Since you won't be adjusting them to shoot log distance you can just use the rear sight to adjust windage and elevation. If it maxes out you can use a front sight tool to adjust for further elevation.

I am not currently using them but had side irons on my last rifle build. I zeroed at 50 yards, as I didn't want to worry about dealing with shots above point of aim, and I could see myself using irons past 25 yards depending on the stage.

When I did use them I would zero at 10 yards. I was seeing the up-close head shot paper at for rifles 80% of the time at majors and locals. I can't remember from the top of my head but I seem to remember there wasn't much of height increase from 10 yards to 30. But since I shoot limited I use my big circle to aim at close range and the small dot at distance.

Edited by DocMedic

I've not used off set iron sights but I have a couple rifles with SUITs on them.

I zeroed at 25 yds. (nice little dime sized ten shot groups prone) and then went to 300 yds. to find the group was way off to the right (it really never occurred to me till then that it would be wide right since the objective lens of the SUIT is offset to the left).

I moved the group over to dead center at 300 yds. and found the group was only 1/2" off to the left at 25 yds.

On up close makes the group farther off at distance. On at a distance makes very little difference up close.

If I had to zero a set of offset BUIS up close I'd try to measure the offset from muzzle to front sight blade tip and offset the group at 25 yds. that far. Then take it out to distance to confirm and make any further adjustment.