Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock III (3) running a bit sluggish

JeffD

I've read this link about recoils springs (thanks MemphisMechanic for the "Tanfoglio Bible" thread): http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234433

However it's focused on Stock 2 pistols and I just bought a Stock 3. This is my first Tanfoglio and compared to the M&P Pro I've shot for the last 7 years, it seems to run very sluggish, as if the slide was taking forever to go all the way back, then pauses, and then closes. I have a 10 pound spring from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop "Upgrade Kit" they sell for the long slide models. I'm using 147 grain Bayous with 3.1 grains of VV N320 at 1.135 OAL making 129 PF. I've started shooting a P226 in IDPA to cross-train myself with the DA/SA format, and with the OEM spring and same ammo, the P226 seems like it cycles so much faster and I get the sights back quicker, like the M&P Pro I used to use. We put my M&P Pro slide on a scale next to the Stock 3 slide, and the Tanfo is a bit over 3 ounces heavier, is that what I'm feeling?

What's the best way to increase the cycle rate of a Stock 3? Should I try a 12-pound long-slide frame? According to info on Ben Stoeger Pro Shop's recoil spring page, the 12-pound spring is what is OEM for the Stock 3 in .40. That makes it sound like it might not run with my 129 PF loads. Should I try a lighter bullet?

Not sure this is helpful, but I put up a video with 2 recent stages with the Stock 3 and the P226 to compare recoil from a POV camera. While the Stock 3 looks to have much less muzzle rise, I just remember it feeling so slow that I was worried it wasn't going to cycle (which it's done flawlessly, any problems I've experienced are obvious ammo issues).

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I did see another thread that said a lighter spring would speed up the gun, but my brain can't comprehend that as it seems counter intuitive. I understand it would open faster, but not close as fast which is what I think I want.

So I'll order a lighter spring, which I guess would be the 10 lb for the Stock II which would correspond to 8 lb for Stock III, and try 124gr boolits. Sucks as I just got 500 165gr Xtremes to try. Maybe those will work with the lighter spring.

I have tried pretty much everything others suggested above on my Stock 2 that I feel sometimes is very sluggish in slide return. I have tried #8, 9, 10, and 12 recoil springs. I have tried 147gr 130PF handload up to factory 124gr 135PF ammo.

What helped was to carefully find all metal burrs on the frame and in the slide, sand them down and polish them. You need to find all of the burrs. That's the key. It's easy to think you have found all the burrs and removed them, but next time you strip it down, take a closer look around all the holes, corners, etc. You will find more. Then after about 8k rounds, the gun rarely gives me the feeling of sluggish slide return.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I did see another thread that said a lighter spring would speed up the gun, but my brain can't comprehend that as it seems counter intuitive. I understand it would open faster, but not close as fast which is what I think I want.

So I'll order a lighter spring, which I guess would be the 10 lb for the Stock II which would correspond to 8 lb for Stock III, and try 124gr boolits. Sucks as I just got 500 165gr Xtremes to try. Maybe those will work with the lighter spring.

I'll add a little more since I shoot 165 extremes; get the 6# spring. Again, get the 6# spring. Why would you get the 8#?! I'm telling you what will help, and you're not listening, lol.

I wish someone made a 5 or 4 pounder for 165 loads.

OK, OK, I'll try that too. What's your recipe for 165 Xtremes? I was going to try 3.0 grains of VV N320 and 1.140 OAL. I also have Titegroup and heard 2.8 grains of that is the same.

I have tried pretty much everything others suggested above on my Stock 2 that I feel sometimes is very sluggish in slide return. I have tried #8, 9, 10, and 12 recoil springs. I have tried 147gr 130PF handload up to factory 124gr 135PF ammo.

What helped was to carefully find all metal burrs on the frame and in the slide, sand them down and polish them. You need to find all of the burrs. That's the key. It's easy to think you have found all the burrs and removed them, but next time you strip it down, take a closer look around all the holes, corners, etc. You will find more. Then after about 8k rounds, the gun rarely gives me the feeling of sluggish slide return.

I remember reading you saying that in another thread, thanks for the reminder. I've got the ARy's BOLO coming with a one piece sear so I'll get my smith to do that while it's apart.

Thanks to all again and I'll report back what makes a difference for me to add to the knowledge base.

Lighter recoil spring and it will cycle slower....from my experience with my stock 3. Too light and reliability becomes a issue.

Ammo is also another factor. I would go with a lighter bullet and at least a 130-135pf.

Another issue is that I have had Wolff springs that were off spec when compared to one another; in brand new packaging. Go with a 11 or 12 lbs recoil and cut a coil if it feels too strong.

My S3 probably has 5k rounds through it.

• 2 weeks later...