Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan

hlpressley

Looking for load recommendations for an STI Trojan. I know the gun is capable of better than what I've been able to do so far with my existing load (Xtreme 147 over 3.2 TG 1.15 OAL). Hoping to stay with TG powder and either Xtreme or Blue Bullets.

Thanks in advance.

what's wrong with your existing load? accuracy problem?

my STI hates extreme 124gr bullets, i think because of the diameter. It likes coated bullets of .356 diameter, but I think the xtremem 147's are also .356.

I'm not sure honestly. I've loaded over 100K of the same load on the same machine over the last 5 years and have never had any rounds tumble. But, they seem to do so in the Trojan. They run fine out of my CZ's, Glocks, M&P's etc but for whatever reason the STI doesn't like them. It feeds and shoots them fine but the groups aren't very good and about 1 in 3 will have a slight tumble. I hate to think I can shoot better groups with my carry Glock 19 than I can with this gun. So far, that is the case.

my STI hates extreme 124gr bullets, i think because of the diameter. It likes coated bullets of .356 diameter, but I think the xtremem 147's are also .356.

I'm not sure honestly. I've loaded over 100K of the same load on the same machine over the last 5 years and have never had any rounds tumble. But, they seem to do so in the Trojan. They run fine out of my CZ's, Glocks, M&P's etc but for whatever reason the STI doesn't like them. It feeds and shoots them fine but the groups aren't very good and about 1 in 3 will have a slight tumble. I hate to think I can shoot better groups with my carry Glock 19 than I can with this gun. So far, that is the case.

I didn't get noticeable tumbling, but 1 or 2 out of every 10 round group from my STI would be entirely off the target at 25 yards. Same ammo in my cz carry gun formed a 3-4 inch group shooting offhand. I would try a coated bullet. Switching to leatherhead coated (125 and 147 both) solved my problem, but I bet any brand of coated bullets would work if there is one local to you.

I also noted that the 125 grain bullets are measurably more accurate than 147's, but the 147's will still all group in the upper A at 15 yards, which is about as well as i can see to shoot anyway.

Edited by motosapiens

Slug your barrel and see what inside diameter of your barrel is. I had 9mm sti that couldn't group nicely...tried all kinds of loads and factory rounds. Took it to the Smith and he measured .357 so no wonder my groups were never good.

My CZ's required a 1.10 oal to feed well. My 9mm Trojan likes 1.15. No tumbling. (1911's seem to have a longer chamber....so I'm told)